Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wonder Wad Alternatives

Old 09-18-2005, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Wonder Wad Alternatives

Roskoe - No healthy charges......yet. Real curious to see what kind of groups 95-120 gr charges will produce.Having never shot a projectile as light as a 127 gr RB out of my 50 cals before, I was surprised how little recoil they produced. Again, I'd love to find a low recoil, flat shooting, accurate, small game (translation: woodchuck) type of load that I can use in my Encore.

Let me know if you try this and what kind of results you get.

-Hunter John
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 AM

It might be awhile - kinda buried in the shop right now. I was thinking of trying fffg Triple 7 - or some BM3 if I can ever get my hands on some.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Hunter John

I really liked being able to FEEL a distinstive "stop" when the RB hit the bottom of the sabot. Whenever I have seated PRBs I was always worried I didn't have it seated on top of the powder charge because I could not FEEL the seat. Seating a PRB in my experience has always been a chore where I'm fighting it all the way down the bore.I
Hello...just noticingthis part of your post and wanted to offer that the experience you mentioned with round balls is notthe norm and may have just been a case of needing a slightadjustment in the patch / ball / lube combinations you had at that time...I'm well into several thousand patched round balls now with different calibers and they essentially go down with a single stroke...one fluid motion down stroke until they stop on top of the powder, andthen I lean on it until I hearthe powder cruch from compression.
Also, as a failsafe forfuture loads, make a so called "witness mark" on the ramrod flush with the muzzle, and you'll always know where you are when seating that particular load again in the future...I happen to wrap a piece of electrician's tape around mine, some mark with a pencil, etc.

PS: similar to yours,Hornady makes a commercial sabot/ball projectile for the .50cal called "the hardball"...a .485dia ball in a plastic cup made for that purpose.