Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading a muzzleloader?

Old 09-30-2002, 12:16 PM

Default Unloading a muzzleloader?

This is my first year muzzleloading and I was wondering if most of you fire gun after your day of hunting or it their is a tool that can help unload the slug and powder? I have also heard of guys not loading their guns until they see a deer, but that seems stupid to me, since half of the time deer sneak up on you anyway. What are your opinions on unloading and loading. Only a couple of weeks until opener hear in Iowa I can't wait.

Thanks for any help
Jason
Old 09-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unloading a muzzleloader?

Are you shooting a sidelock or inline? If you have an inline, all you need to do to unload w/o firing is disassemble the gun, remove the breach plug, and ram the bullet out that way. If you have a sidelock, you have a couple of options. If you are using a lead bullet, or a jacketed bullet with a large hollow/soft point, you can use a screw-type bullet puller. You thread it to your ramrod, then tap it into the nose of the bullet and pull it out. If shooting patched roundballs, there is a ramrod attachment that has two little tines that grap the patch to pull the ball out. The easiest way is to get one of those little CO2 cartridge powered unloading devices (don't remember exactly what they are called), that is placed on the nipple and blows the charge out.

BTW, what part out Iowa are you from? I'm hunting early muzzleloader in Johnson County this year.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Old 09-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the previous post pretty much covers all options. However you do need to remove the charge at the end of the day if it is dry out, when planning to hunt some more. If raining, wet, etc it is always a good idea to clean any weapon after a day in the field, to prevent rust or pitting.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Spike

Hey Jason, these guys did a pretty good job of covering it. Not much more to say. What part of Iowa are you from? I'll be hunting Early season in Marion CO.

Deer1
Old 09-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 09:21 PM

deer 1 and driftrider
I am going to be hunting in Winneshiek County. There is some really big bucks roaming around here. Do you guys have any suggestions for my first time out? What to keep an eye out for, etc? I am hoping that it cools off a little bit by opening day.

Thanks for all of the help
I have an inline, so I will have to disassemble is sounds like

Jason
Old 09-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Suggestion #1: Try to avoid the temptation blast the noisy squirrels out of the tree behind you.

Suggestion #2: See suggestion #1

I hope it cools off too. I didn't hunt last year, but the year before it was 75 degrees at 5pm when I pulled the trigger. Needless to say, I was scrambling to dress that deer and get it on ice.

Good luck,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member

Edited by - drache on 10/01/2002 00:36:49
Old 09-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-01-2002, 07:00 AM
Spike

Okay,
I was almost rolling on the floor when I read driftrider's suggestion #1 and #2! That is the closest description of the opening day on the stand that I've heard in a long time! Make sure you know exactly where your bullet will hit at a certain range and never exceed that range and you'll be fine. Another thing, if a doe breezes past you there might be a buck behind her so keep a sharp eye out. Being this close to the rut, it's not a impossiblity. What other kind of hunting have you done?

Happy huntin'
Deer1