Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blowback vs 25acp breechplugs

Old 09-13-2005, 02:06 PM

Default RE: Blowback vs 25acp breechplugs

Good thought on the pin but I'm already using a Belm 1x pin. Until today I had just cleaned the plug by squirting some #13 and swabbing it with a brush, then wiping down the exterior. Today I cleaned the channel with a 1/8 drill bit after soaking for 2 hours in #13. I got a bunch of crud out of the channel.I hope to get back to the range in the morning and see if that helped.
I hope they put the newest, latest, bestest plug in when the changed it,. and I hopeit lasts longer then 30-40 shots.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blowback vs 25acp breechplugs

ORIGINAL: Birdrider

Good thought on the pin but I'm already using a Belm 1x pin. Until today I had just cleaned the plug by squirting some #13 and swabbing it with a brush, then wiping down the exterior. Today I cleaned the channel with a 1/8 drill bit after soaking for 2 hours in #13. I got a bunch of crud out of the channel.I hope to get back to the range in the morning and see if that helped.
I hope they put the newest, latest, bestest plug in when the changed it,. and I hopeit lasts longer then 30-40 shots.

Ethan

Don't use any sharp-edged metal tooling inside that plug. Use a carb-cleaner with a long red spray nozzle... but watch overspray on clothes, face.... etc when spraying in the 209 hole. Use a sewing needle to clear the plug face hole. Use dipped pipe cleaners & Q-Tips for the 209 hole area. I then power-blast it with steamy, hotwater - holding it with pliers & shake it/blow itdry -- then leave it out in a sandwich baggie hanging from theramrod when storing the rifle for extended periods. I install it onlywhen I'm ready to pack it in a gun case for shooting. Put the T/C-13 away & buy either Shooters Choice or Birchwood Casey 2 In 1 Bore Cleaner. T/C-13 can be used for range-swabbing, but it's really a weak cleaner.