Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva hunter bolt and t/c maxi hunters

Old 09-10-2005, 08:06 AM

Default cva hunter bolt and t/c maxi hunters

my dad got some of the 350grn. maxi hunters off of one of his friends,,we took them to one of his friends to shoot and when we got home and cleaned the guns he realized that the fireing pin broke,,my question is,,should that have happen he was shooting them with 100grn. of triple se7en,,he then decided he was not going to use them and when with power belts,,my ohter question is,,i shoot a cva eclipse magnus and was wondering it i would have any troubles with them before i made the switch
Old 09-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cva hunter bolt and t/c maxi hunters

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55
Theprojectile and the powder charge should have little to do with the firing pin. Since the firing pin's only job is to ignite the 209 primer that in turn would ignite, setting the charge in the breech off. Was the 209 primers blowing out which would indicate a lot of blow back pressure? I would guess the metal was faulty or fatigued or the spring coil too strong. I am guessing it just chipped the nose of the pin off? Still, that does not say too much for the quality of the rifle. 100 grains of Triple Se7en unless in pellet from could be considered a little hot for the rifle. I think in the manual they recommend 100 grains of loose Pyrodex or Black Powder. Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then the Pyrodex discussed in the manual, but I really do not see that as an excessive charge, even in loose form.

If this rifleis the CVA Hunter Bolt you refer to in the main heading of the thread, I would suggest you call CVA on Monday and discuss this matter with them. Perhaps they will send you a replacement firing pin or make arrangements to fix the rifle.

my ohter question is,,i shoot a cva eclipse magnus and was wondering it i would have any troubles with them before i made the switch
Your Eclipse is a slide striker ignition system I believe, like my CVAStaghorn. I have shot lots of the maxiballs out of the Staghorn as well as 320 grain R.E.A.L. conicals with excellent results and never had any problems with the rifle... I use 90 grains of Goex 2f powder. I think you should be fine. Although, what happens if you cut the powder charge of the Triple Se7en back to say, 90 grains? Does the accuracy fall off? The trouble with those powerbelts is the cost. They do work good in some rifles but it sure is a bite to have to pay a dollar a throw on them chunks of lead.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:54 AM

the fireing pin came apart it did not chipp the nose,,yes my dad has called cva i do belive not sure what they have said,,

yes my eclisp is the slide striker,,i currently am shooting 80grn, of triple se7en with a 240grn,t/c xtp sabot(i think that is what they are),,also we will be goingbakc to pyrodex when we run out of777 would i have to take my powder chargeup more for something that would wieght that much??
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

When changing any powders, the only way to know whether you will need to increase the powder charge, or decrease for that matter, is do the range time. I have seen some projectiles shoot at 100 grains of this powder, 100 grains of that powder but then need 110 grains of a different powder. All shooting the same bullet of course.

I will guess that if you switch back to Pyrodex from Triple Se7en you might have to jump that to 90 grains. The reason I say this is my Staghorn and 90 grains of Goex 2f with a 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP, seem to be made for each other.

The other day I happened to be shooting some 230 grain T/C Spitfire I believe they are called. I bought them at Wal Mart and when I went to check the name I noticed I had removed the card which had the name on them. My notes only indicated 230 grain full copper jacket hollow point T/C 100 grains Goex 2f shot excellent. And they sure did. I was only shooting at 50 yards, but I was shooting at a small 2" square piece of red tape and just tearing that up with the RED DOT that was on the Staghorn. If you see some you might want to give them a try. I think they were 30 of them for $7.95 which is reasonable.