Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Corrosive is Tripple 7??? Facts Needed Please

Old 09-29-2002, 10:11 PM

Default How Corrosive is Tripple 7??? Facts Needed Please

I just tested some sort of.. I switched over this year from Pyrodex to Tripple 7. I was thinking it was non corrosive until some on this BB set me straight. But help me out here with links or something. Because I went on a special early muzzleloading controlled hunt on Saturday (reducing deer pop at a federal installation). I shot once (got a deer, barnes bullets worked great!). This was at about 10am on Saturday morning. When I got home, I didn't feel like cleaning the gun and left it in its case indoors until tonight. I just finished cleaning it at 11:45pm Sunday. Not one bit of rust. And I couldn't find any pitting either. No breech plug on my Thunderhawk but the nipple came right out.. I know when I used bore butter and pyrodex I would have had a nasty mess.....so how long does Tipple 7 take to rust a gun and pit the steel? I can't imagine ever going longer than I just did. I usually clean the evening of the hunt...Thanks!
Old 09-29-2002, 11:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How Corrosive is Tripple 7??? Facts Needed Please

Actually, what Hodgdon says about 777 is that "all propellants are corrosive to some extent.", which is a weasle-worded admission that 777 IS CORROSIVE!! Yes, it is!!, and the only way I've found to keep it from rusting a bore is to thoroughly clean it out with plain water, just after you get done shooting, just as you would if you had been shooting black powder. However, it does dissolve and cleans out with just plain water much faster and easier than black powder fouling does. I tested it by leaving an old cheap gun uncleaned for a day, and it picked up rust overnight. I also tested GOEX Clear Shot the same way, and was able to leave the gun uncleaned for two weeks here in southern PA, and there was no rusting at all, so I believe GOEX's claim for this powder.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 09-30-2002, 08:45 AM

That's what I don't understand. I went two days with it in a closed gun case completely uncleaned with no rust. Is it because I am using Sabots and my system is completely dry (dry sabot in a dry barrel with no lube at all)? I remove all the oil I can after storage and never lube again until after the gun is clean. Fouling is very low with this system. I agree about bore butter, it traps the fouling, makes it wet, and doesn't prevent rust well. I had guns rust with it after being cleaned and having some bore butter applied to a clean barrel! For that reason, I am not going to used lubed conicals anymore. That lube wets the powder and then you really have a mess if you don't clean right away. As far as is tripple 7 as a BP sub, who cares? If you can shoot smokeless legally in a Savage MZ, I don't care how the powder is classified as long as it works.. I would shoot smokeless in my Thunderhawk if I could without blowing it up.. As long as my state doesn't ban it's use, I am going to use it. I just wish some magazine would do a corrosive study on tripple 7 so I could find out for sure. Certainly, I usually clean the day I fire, but it would be nice to know how long I really have. Also, the lack of sulfer smell with Tripple 7 makes it worth the money right there. As does the easy clean up. This stuff comes right out with a couple damp (with just water) patches. I shoot so little that a can of powder lasts me three years... besides I have a buddy with an FFL that will sell it to me almost at cost. $16 a can.....

Edited by - clearanceman on 09/30/2002 09:54:02
Old 10-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

clearance man, it could very well be that your rifle did not come in contact with enough airborne moisture for it to rust. When I lived in New Mexico, I had little problems with rust!! I suggest you read Mike Venturino's write-up of 777 in cartridge arms in the new Shooting Times. Basically, he found that 777 was JUST EXACTLY THE SAME as black when it comes to cleaning. I thought it was a little easier to get out 777 fouling than black powder fouling. (Venturino is one writer who usually knows what he is talking about RE: BP cartridge guns.)

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-01-2002, 09:38 PM

Thanks! I think it is my dry system. But 777 does clean up easier than pyrodex IMO...
Old 10-02-2002, 12:07 AM

clearanceman got a deer really early (back stap's in the freezer)nothing walks when hit with that thunderhawk.I have 8 more days before the season open up northern zone n.y.s.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:40 PM

Congrats! I got one too.. Even though our muzzleloader season is last (middle of December), we can put in for a special controlled hunt at a federal place south of here. I went saturday and go a button buck. I am going back tomorrow in hopes of killing something else. The barnes bullets put 'em down right now. This deer didn't even take one step, just fell over.. Dave