Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Minimum load for shooting/hunting..

Old 08-27-2005, 01:48 PM
XTP

Default Minimum load for shooting/hunting..

My son is old enough to try hunting this year so I would like to take him out during our October ML season as the weather is usually alot nicer.Here's the question....what would be the lightest loads for a .50 Traditions Buckhunter inline for both practice andhunting?
Yes I realizeone load may not be the best for both and thats fine,because if he can practice alot at a light load..we can step it up(and re sight in) for hunting. A different rifle is not an option either.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Minimum load for shooting/hunting..

I think if you would load something as simple as 80 grains of FFg and a 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP that should have plenty of power and knock down with very little recoil. I would shoot out to 100 yards with that load and not look back.

You might also want to try a 200 grain T/C Shockwave with about 80 grains under it. Granted it should be pushed harder for the maxium advantage of the projectile, but it should still be lethal placed in the right spot.

Another thing you can try is loading a .490 roundball with a .015 patch around it. Load 50-70 grains of FFg and see if the rifle likes shooting them. Many times the fast twist rifles will shoot roundball in practice just fine out to 50 yards and further. These would not have bad recoil. My friend's son shoots 70 grains of Goex 3f and a patched roundball out of his Hawkinrifle and a good wind would take that kid away he is so thin and light weight.

One last thing you could shoot out of that rifle is a 245 grain Powerbelt Aero Tip. Put 80 grains under that and the recoil should be very light. It should have plenty of knock down power out to 100 yards even. Although because of their cost you might not want to practice too much with them.To just get him used to shooting I seriously would try the roundball. They are easy on the arm and a lot of fun. The accuracy of them, even though the rifle technically is not made for them, can be very good.

If roundball will not work there are 245 grain Buffalo Ball-ets. Load them with 80 grains and you have a very lethal whitetail load. I shoot them out of some of my inlines for fun, but my CVA actually does a real good job with them.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:14 PM
XTP

Default RE: Minimum load for shooting/hunting..

Thanx cayugad....thats about what I was thinking...with the roundball that is. That way he can practice with the rifle,getting used to the feel at a comfortable level,then move up to a hunting load later.Thanx again.....