Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think about 250 grain T/C Shockwaves...

Old 09-03-2005, 07:55 AM

Default RE: What do you think about 250 grain T/C Shockwaves...

To kinnda bump this post to ask you guys what you thought of this load for deer. 200gr shockwaves or 215gr Dead Centers pushed by something in the 100-130 range of loose american pioneer or 777. This will be out of a 26" Encore, just looking for some experience to narrow down a load before going to the range.

I response to the poster with that was having trouble with his encore, did you try the aluminum tape trick?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:10 AM

I response to the poster with that was having trouble with his encore, did you try the aluminum tape trick?
If you mean me, no, I went to a 1x oversize hinge pin. I question whether the tape would be a strong enough hold to make much accuracy difference.
Ethan
Old 09-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I've just been trying out some of the 200 grain Shockwaves out of my Black Diamond XR. Accuracy wise, they are fantastic. I shot them with 110 grains of loose T-7 and all three holes touched at 100 yards. I think a quarter would have covered the shots.. As for knock down, I do not see why they would not be effective. I mean people are shooting smaller projectiles then that at deer and taking them at some extreme distances...
Old 09-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Good I'll try the T-7 and shockwave combo out when I go to the range. Wasn't happy at all with the penatration of the 180 XTPs at all, but that's what I get for using a self defense bullet on deer.

Birdrider the aluminum tape trike was in lieu of oversized pins so guess it wouldn't work for ya.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:01 AM

I looked at the tape but decided on the pins. The lockup is much tighter now then it was. I am going to do a head to head with the stock vs the 1x pin next time I go to the range.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Pyro select gives me the best groups out of my encore using the barnes 195 gr and 200 gr SW or sst's.Don't use the barnes any more for hunting though.I use cci primers and 100 to 115 grs of pyro-select.I couldn't get the accuracy that I wanted using the T-7.And use a spit patch between each shot.The top pic was shot a couple weeks ago and the bottom was shot a couple years ago.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some real fine shooting out of a rifle... What is the furthest distance you have ever tried to shoot with that load?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Flying Ferris

To kinnda bump this post to ask you guys what you thought of this load for deer. 200gr shockwaves or 215gr Dead Centers pushed by something in the 100-130 range of loose american pioneer or 777. This will be out of a 26" Encore, just looking for some experience to narrow down a load before going to the range.
=====================

I doubt the lightweightPrecision DCs in blue sabot will like anything over 90-95 grains of 777. Dead Centers don't like to be pushed too hard. Want to get over 2K in speed with 777, move up to the 250 gr. Shockwaves.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Gettin these figures from memory I think 105 grs gave me about 1950 fps with a bout a 10 in drop at 200 yds,thats not exact but close,don't have time to look for my notes this morning,got some groups around 2 in @ 200 yds.
Used a savage last year so didn't use the encore,took one with it at 234 yds.I shoot the 250 sw or sst in it.The reason I shot the group with the encore this year was because I am having trouble switching barrels between a 25/06 and 50 cal muzzleloader barrel,and holding poi.
Year before took one at 70 yds (it was a 17 in 8 pointer) with the 195 barnes,no blood or hair,found deer a couple days later,thats why I won't use the barnes anymore,One at 45 yds with the sst it ran about 20 yds shot behind the shoulder was blood every where.one at 135 yds Fartherest I have shot one with the encore,behind the shoulder ran about 50 yds before dropping.
Funny thing year before when I got the 3 with the encore I carried the savage some but didn't even see a deer when carrying it and this past year carried the encore some but didn't see a deer when carring it but got 3 with the savage.The same year I got the ones with the encore I carried a knight 45 cal using a 225 gr power belt,took one at 170 yds it dropped where it stood because I hit it a little high in the spine took out about a 6 in piece of spine,almost missed that one.
The reason I knew the yardages is that I use a range finder with bow,muzzle loader or rifle it is the most valuable hunting tool I have owned.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the ballistics of my load. I'm shooting the 250gr TC Shockwave pushed by 2 50gr pellets of 777 out of my Omega.I'd like to have an Idea of numbers. Right now its Dead on at 100 but would like to move that out to 150yds. I have three shot groups touching (usally shots 3,4,5) then from there it moves to a 4" group playing ring around the rosey of the bull.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: What do you think about 250 grain T/C Shockwaves...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.