Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sighting problems

Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default sighting problems

I have been trying to sight in my Kodiak with powerbelts. I got the rfle scope combo through Cabelas. I had a good group at 50and moved out to 100 yards. I was working the shots up to the bull and then the pattern went to hell. I was centered on the target but low. I would adjust the scope up and the shot moved up. I jumped the adjustment up 2" and over 1/2" and the shot junped up six abd over 3. Backed back to the right 1/4" and the shot jumped 3" to the right. I shot a couple of more to try to group, and the shots were all high and very scattered. I was either very lucky with the shots that seemed to move properly as I adjusted the scope, or......? Is it just that the power belts are inconsistant. I had trouble at 50 then they grouped well, then seemed to be doing well at 100 and then back to all over, or could it be the Pine Ridge scope. I wouldn't think that 30 rounds would be enough to damage the scopes ability to hold it's adjustment. Any thoughts from you experienced MLers? These are the first 30 shots Ihave ever taken with an inline and scope. I thought I might try some saboted bullets and see if they shoot more consistantly.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sighting problems

I had very similar results with powerbelts. I went back to Barnes Expanders and problem solved. It could be the scope but not likely. I would try some Hornady SST's or Barnes Expanders to see if your results change. Both of those bullets have proven very accurate in my guns. What powder and powder charge are you using? I only shoot Pyrodex pellets and have good luck with them.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the sights & scope remained nice & tight & you were not using any lubes or oils for swabbing, then I suspect you were a victim of an overheated barrel. CVAs and Tradition rifles use softer steel. Shot changes are common when heated/overworked--typical ofmy three Traditions firearms.

Another suspect could be your powder interaction. Hard to pinpoint anything on my end since you never mentioned what powder you shoot, how much you used & what Powerbelt you used (Lead-copper). If you were using magnum powder loads, you may have lead, copper or plastic residue in your bore. If that's the case, get a good solvent that removes it & ALWAYS use a bore brush for swabbing& cleaning inlines.... not a jag.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I am not sure who makes Pine Ridge scopes but have read posts of people liking them or absolutely hating them. It seems that if it is a good one, then you have it made.Hard to say if it was the scope or not. Of course check your mounts and make sure they are tight. If you had a chance to try the conicals with the iron sights you could then rule out the scope to some degree. Or if you had another scope you could throw on, that you knew was a good solid scope, this too could help address this possibility.

Powerbelts are a slip fit conical and because of this load easy. Many people leave the barrel fowled because they load easy. Were you swabbing between shots? Since you were sighting in, I personally would swab between shots even though the projectile is loading easy. Then I know that all the shots are somewhat identical. Since we are on the subject of fowling and swabbing. Poster Triple Se7en advises to swab using a bore brush and not a jag. He gives excellent advice although I have swabbed with a jag in all my inlines and have not noticed any problems because of it. The only time I swab with a bore brush and patch is when shooting Triple Se7en to help remove the burned on crud fowling that seems to stick in the bore from that powder.

So, what power charge were you shooting and what kind of powder would be my next question? Powerbelts in my experience do not like strong charges. I keep them 100 grains and less and it seems to make them behave much better. My Staghorn like 90 grains of Triple Se7en with powerbelts or 100 grains of Goex 2f. I am guessing this is because of the difference in the powder strength. When I try to shoot anything more then that, the hits are all over the paper.

Also some rifles like a certain weight and design of powerbelt. Perhaps you just have not found the powerbelt that the rifle likes. I would try some of the different weights and see what happens. If you want to try a good sabot out of that rifle get some 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's load them 100 grains or less and you should get good accuracy out of them. Most Wal Marts carry them.

Getting back to Powerbelts, also I found that when shooting Triple Se7en powder I get better accuracy with powerbelts if I pull the plastic button first off the conical. I then lube the spike located on the end of the conical with bore butter or oil, even spit. Then replace the plastic button. I find they powerbelts then loose that button sooner and the accuracy is better. For some reason the T-7 powder makes those buttons stay around longer.

At this sighting in time I would not worry so much about scope adjustment as I would group tightness. Start at 25 yards if you like and shoot a three shot group. Swab between shots and let the barrel cool down if it is hot outside. If it shoots a tight group, then go back to the 50 yard and do the same thing. Again, take your time. Make sure you address the rifle properly at the bench rest, and shoot for a group. If you are getting good tight groups, then move the scope adjustments to what you see fit.

Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted..
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM

You may be onto something with this wrapping the patch around a brush for swabbing. I have made several jags on a lathe - for a specific patch thickness in a specific gun, I am looking for a "not too tight, not too loose" fit when swabbing. I use the patch wrapped around the brush in most of my CF rifles . . . should work famously in the muzzleloader when at the range.

For hunting, however, there are obvious advantages to having a combination jag/bullet seater on the rod that sits under the barrel.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to have left out the powder. I am using Goex Clear shot FFg. I was swabing every third or fourth shot. I would pull the breech plug and swab from the breech out the end, using only patches. I was shooting 295 grain copper plated powerbelts with 90 grains of powder. also any bore brush, I have 50 cal but it is plastic, would you recomend a copper brush?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: maineac

Sorry to have left out the powder. I am using Goex Clear shot FFg. I was swabing every third or fourth shot. I would pull the breech plug and swab from the breech out the end, using only patches. I was shooting 295 grain copper plated powerbelts with 90 grains of powder. also any bore brush, I have 50 cal but it is plastic, would you recomend a copper brush?
Although I am not a fan of Clear Shot FFg.. how old is this powder? I was under the impression they stopped making this stuff a long time ago. Also your pulling the breech plug and swabbing from the breech to the muzzle is all noble, but hardly necessary unless that is the SOP for that style of rifle. I do not have one, so I could be uninformed. Sure would not be the first time.

Seeing you were shooting 90 grains of Clear shot I would not think you would have copper fowling that was causing the poor accuracy. I shot the stuff once. I friend owned it. I think I had to add about 30 grains or more to get my load power back. Now Clean Shot is a whole different story. I like that stuff.

If it were me with this problem, I would get some Triple Se7en FFg powder and try 90 grains of that. I think that might cure your problem. As for a copper bore brush, they will remove crud a little better then a plastic one I might think. My worry would be a plastic brush would desolve in some of the solvents I use...
Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Spike

I'm not sure I can diagnose your problem, but I bought a similar CVA/Pine Ridge combination a few years back. The gun was ok, but not exceptional. The scope was the biggest peice of garbage I've ever owned. I couldn't get rid of that fast enough after the season ended.

So I guess my first suggestion would be to look for a new scope.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: maineac

Ditch the old Clear Shot & buy a brass bore brush. Start swabbing after every 2nd shot if you use 777. Otherwise, I recommend you try either American Pioneer or Goex Pinnacle in 3F only. The 2F is very coarse.

Start all over at the range with new powder. Don't let the barrel overheat & use Windex to swab the bore. Get a good solvent like Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2 In 1 Formula. That stuff willl keep all fouling & residue under control for a very long time.

Just remember to hold your nose when using it... lol
Old 08-26-2005, 06:24 PM

I had the same results with powerbelts.then changed to 300 gr hornady sst and started shooting a 1 inch group at 100 yards.they are harder to load but worth the trouble.