Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Temperature Variation/Impact

Old 08-24-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Temperature Variation/Impact

I'm sure this is probably a repeat issue, but curious...when sighting in. If theoutside temp is say is 85-95 degreesin the the shade, is there a notable difference in point of impact (POI) when hunting and the temp is 55-65 or colder?? Has anyone seen any data or based on their actual experiences, i.e POI lower, higher, consitency, accuracy? Guessing, POI would lower in hot weather??
Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 AM

Default RE: Temperature Variation/Impact

yes there is, i wait till the end of sept or early ocbt to sight in.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Temperature Variation/Impact

I have noted that in the warmer temperatures, there is a slight difference where the projectile hits on the target. This is more so when shooting sabots over the roundball and conicals. Also when it is hot outside the barrel of your rifle will heat up faster and stay hotter longer which seems to effect accuracy and loading.

For this reason I do very little fine tuning of a rifle. Especially where it involves filing down sights. I wait until the temperatures are at least in the 60's before I get too concerned. And it is finally getting cooler here....