Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester WML209 Primers

Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester WML209 Primers

I buy them from a shop that has literally tons of reloading supplies. do you think shot.gun reloaders pay a bunch for primers?

Old 08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

You can buy shot shells at Walmart for less than they sell the damn primers!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pitts,

So if you are certain you are talking about the same primers and they cost lessthan 20$........Can you give me the adress or phone number...thx
Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Just to be fair to the Winchester people, I tried these primers in a CVA Staghorn Magnum today. Since the CVA breech is a solid one piece design I figured that this would be a good test for them.
Twice I have the centers blow out of the primer and then not seeing that ended up with a misfire on the next shot. After checking and finding that small piece in the breech striker area and removing it, the rifle fired fine. Also I noticed that the center part of the primer would blow backward and hang out the rim of the primer, sometimes coming out, sometimes not. So over all I am guessing that the old 209 Nipple in my Black Diamond might have been partially to blame for some of the problems on the other encounter, although these are not low power.
I only shot 25 times and the rifle and RED DOT were covering in fowling.... Such is the life of a muzzleloader.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Twice I have the centers blow out of the primer and then not seeing that ended up with a misfire on the next shot. After checking and finding that small piece in the breech striker area and removing it, the rifle fired fine. Also I noticed that the center part of the primer would blow backward and hang out the rim of the primer, sometimes coming out, sometimes not. So over all I am guessing that the old 209 Nipple in my Black Diamond might have been partially to blame for some of the problems on the other encounter,
Your findings are correct! And I also dont think your Black Diamond nipplewas to blame. I was out shooting my BD for the first timeand had the same thing happen. I will not shoot these primers again! I went through 1 1/2 packs of the old Win. primers and never had this happen
Old 09-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RAKTRAKR

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Twice I have the centers blow out of the primer and then not seeing that ended up with a misfire on the next shot. After checking and finding that small piece in the breech striker area and removing it, the rifle fired fine. Also I noticed that the center part of the primer would blow backward and hang out the rim of the primer, sometimes coming out, sometimes not. So over all I am guessing that the old 209 Nipple in my Black Diamond might have been partially to blame for some of the problems on the other encounter,
Your findings are correct! And I also dont think your Black Diamond nipplewas to blame. I was out shooting my BD for the first timeand had the same thing happen. I will not shoot these primers again! I went through 1 1/2 packs of the old Win. primers and never had this happen
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a new breech plug and breech plug nipple so I do not think I will risk the new stuff with the NEW Winchester Primers. I will shoot some of the Remington Kleenbore Primers and see how they work.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

PR's variflame primer cups have worked great for me , they hold a small rifle primer .
Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

The other day I shot some of the Kleenbore primers made for Muzzleloaders by Remington. I have to admit, they worked fine. They did not blow the discs in my Knight apart, and the accuracy of the rifle was normal. I want to get them out and try them in a few more rifles before I really claim they are worth the money...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad,

Just sharing some information, I have been using Rem 209-4's for several years and have found them to be totally reliable. Haven't experianced the blowing-up that you indicated with the Winchesters. Have not experianced the nipple problems in either the A&H or either one of the Remington 700's - using the Canadian (Cabela's) conversion. Think you will like the Rems... Good Luck
Old 09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

They sure behaved a lot better then the Winchester I bought. I think the discs that I used the Kleenbore in will be able to be reused, which is a real bonus... I only shot off about 35 of them so I have a little more to play with.

Quick Reply: Winchester WML209 Primers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.