Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzleloader

Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 PM

Default New Muzzleloader

Hello to all. I just got a CVA kodiak .50 cal ML. This is my second ML. I use to have a.45 CVA hunterbolt but decide to to get one of the newer designed ML's. I always used pellets and powerbelt bullets but with this new one I want to try loose powder and different types of bullets.One of the types I want to try is conicals. How do they load? Do I need to put something between the powder and bullet to get it to seal. Alot of this is new to me so I am trying to get as much info as I can. Plan on using either 777 or APP in the rifle. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: New Muzzleloader

HAVE YOU SHOT IT YET?I JUST SHIPPED MY NEW KODIAK BACK TO CVA TO GET THE TRANSFER BAR FIXED TODAY,GUN WOULDNT FIRE EVERYTIME SOMETHING ABOUT A SPRING WOULDNT LET THE HAMMER STRIKE FIRING PIN EVERYTIME.TALKED TO A COUPLE OTHER GUYS WHO HAD TO DO THE SAME.NOT THAT BIG OF DEAL JUST THE FACT OF NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOOT FOR A COUPLE WEEKS,WARRANY COVERS IT
Old 08-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: Mike C.

Hello to all. I just got a CVA kodiak .50 cal ML. This is my second ML. I use to have a.45 CVA hunterbolt but decide to to get one of the newer designed ML's. I always used pellets and powerbelt bullets but with this new one I want to try loose powder and different types of bullets.One of the types I want to try is conicals. How do they load? Do I need to put something between the powder and bullet to get it to seal. Alot of this is new to me so I am trying to get as much info as I can. Plan on using either 777 or APP in the rifle. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Loose powder is a great idea. It saves you money. I also feel any load you can make with pellets I can also do the same with loose. Also if you want to shoot conical bullets, I would go with the Triple Se7en FFg powder instead of the APP. Triple Se7en is a faster burning powder and I find, you want to get those big chunks of lead moving ASAP.

Cut your powder charge back on conicals. You're throwing a lot of lead down range. 85 grains is what I use. Some people push them up to 100 grains depending on the conical. Some with powerbelts actually push them more then that. As for the benifits of a wad between the powder and the projectile, it might help and it might not make any difference at all. All you can do it try it both ways. If I were shooting maxiball or maxi hunters thena wad would be used every time. With 460 grain No Excuse conicals I have not used a wad and still get outstanding accuracy. I just ordered a couple more boxes and intend to try a wad under a few just to see if it makes a difference.. The rule of thumb which means nothing anymore is, flat base, you use a wad. Hollow based conicals, no wad... People do it both ways. I guess your rifle will be the real judge of whether they like conicals and wads, just conicals, or no conicals at all...

A lot of conicals load real easy. Those are called slip fit conicals. Examples of these are the powerbelts, and No Excuse Conicals. Then there are the conicals that the rifling is engaged atloading .. these are know as R.E.A.L. conicals, as the name implys..rifling engaged at loading. There are conicals like the maxi ball, maxi hunter, and great plains that expand or flattern out and engage the rifling on the way out of the barrel. Ball-ets and Buffalo Bullets,are also like this. Conicals do need to be lubed of course with something like bore butter. Many of them come pre-lubed, but some don't. Especially the ones you buy in bulk.

Good luck with your rifle.