Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm at a loss - help please

Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I'm at a loss - help please

Last evening I went to the range and encountered problems with loading my saboted bullets (XTP with green hornady sabots & Hornady SST with packaged sabots). I was using T7 loose powder and winchester 209 primers. I have used these components for several years never had a problem but last night the xtps were noticable and the sst were almost painful to seat! The only thing I can think of was the 50/50 windex/ Isoprophyl alky solution or heat (85). The 50/50 solution was a buddies, as my bottle was left at home. He said he used 1/2 cup of windex (brand)and 1/2 cup of Isoprophyl 70% alcohol. He never used it as he ended up shooting CF's the whole night. My groups went from normal after first 2 shots uncleaned to spraying 4" with the wet patch/dry patch combo I have used for some time in between shots. The lastI attempted to loadwas an sst and I could not get it to seat all the way down, so I pulled the breech and called it a day.

As mentioned I have never experienced this problem with loading resistence in the past. The only thing I could think of really was the use of his 50/50 solution. No crud rings, no excessive plastic fouling.....so I am lost what the culprit was. Any thoughts?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:23 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: I'm at a loss - help please

Yea, the alcohol is drying out the barrel completely making it difficult. Try No. 13 to see if its easier. However, the green sabots with XTP should be relativly easier to load than the magnum sabot. I am surprised your groups got so bad however. Most experience better groups.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I really am surprised the group you were shooting got worse. I would have suspected they would have been really good. With a clean dry barrel you are shooting as close to the same, shot after shot. I use the same bore swab solution and have never had any problems. I have noticed sometimes the sabots on hot days are harder to load. All I do after pouring the powder down the barrel is to wet the outside of the sabot with spit from my mouth and it seems to seat just fine. That little bit of water is gone long before it reaches the powder charge.

I personally suspect it was the warm temperatures. I find my black powder rifles alway shoot better in cool to cold weather then in hot weather. If your barrel was hot to the touch, I suspect that the plastic of the sabot was trying to grip the rifling on the way down.

Let the barrel cool more between shots. Also do a longer swab routine. There is nothing that says you can not use two or three wetpatches down the barrel. And do not forget the couple of dry patches following the alcohol/windex patch. Also try the spit trick next time. If this happens again, put a patch in your mouth and swab with spit. See if that makes a difference in the loading. Hot weather is the worst time to shoot ... especially sabots. Summer time I usually shoot round ball or conicals for that reason.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. As mentioned never experienced this problem with loading or grouping for that matter it was beyond bazaar.Your right usually the tighter (with in reason of course) the better they fly, not this night. I know it wasn't me as I was shooting on form with my 2 CF's. I usually don't shootinheat either but once there couldn't resistto take a few pokes and once this happened I had to fix it! Easily the worst I have shot with this ML in long time, groups might have been putting a good spin as it looked more like a pattern...LOL.

Cayugad, my swab routine was the same as always 2 wet's followed by 2-4 dry. I never tried wetting the sabot though, but also have never had to in the past.Barrel wasn't hot to the touch, sure it was warmer due to the ambient temperature being higher but I also tried swabbing then leaving it for a group with a CF then loading and firing with no improvement to either issue.

I am going to re-check the bases on the scope just to ensure everything is tight underneath, thenwait till the weather cools some and see how it performs. I'll keep in mind your suggestions if it exhibits this once again.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Checked the mount and it is tight. I also tried loading the SST after it was cleaned and no problems back to normal...so I guess it was either heat or swab that produced the tough loading. Not sure that had anything to do with the groups??? I'll have to wait till it cools and I can get back to the range to verify.