Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

remington muzzle loader you shoot one and how does it work for u

Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 PM

Default remington muzzle loader you shoot one and how does it work for u

Hey anyone else shoot one they dont offer them as much. I like mine and what loads do you shoot and what scope do you use. what set up do you use No 11 caps or musket caps just looking for fellow remington shooters happy hunting
Old 07-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: remington muzzle loader you shoot one and how does it work for u

Hi Dennis my hunting buddy has one and I have seen him shoot it quite a bit. He likes two Pyrodex pellets behind a 295g Powerbelt. I can't get him to experement much with it as he is not into M/L as much as I am and he just uses it as a deer tool.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

dennisleej,

I have two of them both stainless, the older one is a camo stock with a 24" barrel and a newer one is a 26" barrel. I wouldn't trade them for the world - I really like them - they are accurate and shoot great. Keeping the bolt spring clean and healthy is the most important thing to do in your normal maintenance.

I shoot 209's but I do not use the Remington conversion kit. The one from Cabelas (made in Quebec, Canada) is far superior - not near as much blow back.

In my state, Idaho, sabots are legal so that allows me to continue shooting Nosler Partitions at animals, still hung up on them after my center-fire days. In fact I do not even use the center fires any more I hunt totally with a ML'der. During regular elk and deer season I use an inline and for late deer I use a sidehammer.

Good luck with your Remington
Old 07-31-2005, 02:15 PM

I own one, it's pretty accurate. I bought it used for 300 bucks. I don't know if I would pay what they want for new one (unless the prices have dropped). It's a nice rifle but if I had it to do over again, especially with rifles that are available now I probably would go with something different.

You do have to keep them clean and I didn't care for the trigger on mine much. That's ok because it broke on my rifle and I had to get it replaced ( not the guns fault, it was mine). My gunsmith replaced it with a much better trigger and I like it a lot.

I had a BSA 3.5-10x50 catseye scope on it, but I'm getting something different for this season I think. I currently use 95 grns of 777 fffg with Precision Rifles 350 grn polymer tipped bullets. I sight in at 130 yards and shoot out to 150 with it.

Mine is a bit heavy, but it handles recoil well.

Paul
Old 07-31-2005, 02:16 PM

Oh, I use musket caps, but am thinking about switching to the Cabela's 209 kit.

Paul
Old 07-31-2005, 09:03 PM

IMHO - They are the most accurate ML there is. I haveowned / shot several, and there is no match in the accuracy department. They are kind of a pain in the a%^ to maintain, but that is the trade off for accuracy. My load is 300 gr Barnes Expander over 2 Pyro pellets. Zeroed at 100 yds with a Leupold VX-2 3-9 X 40. I shot a really nice buck at a lazer verfied 176 yds this past season.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 700MLS, 26" barrel and nowtopped with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. Always been accurate and has yet to not go bang. I use the 209 conversion kit made here in canada but offered in theUS through cabela's as well. Like mentioned the bolt must be maintained, which is the only real draw back as far as I am concerned. Mine hasn't been a picky shooter in regards to powder or bullets I have tried. However my current load is 250 gr Hornady SST on top of 100gr of T7 loose and ignited by winchester 209 primers, shoots JFL.

When I shot #11's 100 gr of RS ontop of 240 Hornady XTP's was my go to hunting load. Cheap to shoot, effective and plenty accurate to 150 yards.

Great experiences are all I have had with this ML. Harvested mostly deer but also1 black bear, ranging from 15 yards to 191 yards all 1 shot kills.

Enjoy

Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 PM

I ve shot my rem for 4 years now. I started with per caps but had a few misfires.I changed to 209 primers and had not had a hang or misfire since. I use a 4x bushnel scope and shoot 100 gr triple seven with a 250 gr barnes mz sabot. I've shot a coyote to a bull moose with that load and will never ever change from it.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

i have a700mls 24" REMINGTON .i use a 209 primer and 100gr of T7 .shoots well with DEAD CENTER BULLETS .cleaning is a hasel because of the bolt ,should have bought a BREAK OPEN action...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My friend says its the best muzzel loader he has owned . I dont know if they are still produced , seems as of late , the last 10 years or so , that remingtons quality has gone way down , theie newer guns arnt worth owning , and their ammo is junk .

Quick Reply: remington muzzle loader you shoot one and how does it work for u

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.