Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

I've only shot the 460 grain No Excuse Conicals but have thought about the bigger ones. I would like to get my hands on just a few of the 495 just to try them. I did shoot some 533 grain conicals once and they actually shot real well.The 460 grain shoot so well I hate to mess with a good thing.

As for the 375 grain Buffalo SSB's loading hard... WOW.. they load so easy into my Black Diamond XR, Wolverine II, or CVA Staghorn that it is one of the few bullets I will shoot. I shot some of the SSB's today in my Wolverine II and shot three in a row using Goex powder and never swabbed the barrel. I never even had to use a short starter to set them under the muzzle, they loaded that easy. I also shot off the last of my 460 grain No Excuses, so I have to order a few more boxes now.

In my Black Diamond XR the SSB's load real easy and are really accurate. That is my long range shooting bullet actually. I wonder if it is possible that you got a undersized bore in that rifle, of that is possible. I would call Thompson Center and discuss the loading problems you're having... something is not right. The SSB's are a .451 diameter and made to load easy.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 PM

I just got an Omega Z5 and added a 25ACP adapter. Have bullets ranging from 175 grain 357's to 395 Powerbeltsand a bunch in between. Will be using 777 50's and 30's in the pellets. Will let you all know what it shoots best and worse.........[8D]
Old 08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

I've yet to find anything that does not shoot well enough for hunting purposes from my Omega.

That said, I really like the tough loading Hornady 300gr SST's along with the not as tough to load 300gr Hornady XTP's.
The performance of the SST on game is nothing short of exceptional IMO.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

295 grain powerbelts are what mine wants to shoot , 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards , when shot in front of 90 grains of 777
Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad - Do you use these large sizes of bullets for whitetail hunting? They are much bigger than any my friends use. I shoot 245 gr. Powerbelts and am not sure I like them. I would like to try 460 grain No Excuses Conicals or the 375 grain Buffalo like you said if they are as accurate as what Im using.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I use 250 Shockwaves with Harvester crush rib sabots over 120 gr. of ff 777. Great accuracy and devastating performace on deer.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabre03

I actually have know idea what is the BEST bullet for an Omega...

But, I do know what I use and they work great.... I have all the confidence in the world in them to 150 yards... I would shoot them to 200 but the conditions would have to be in my favor...

Choice #1
100 grains of T7-2f -> sabot MMP HPH24 -> Nosler Partition 260 grain .451 HP for whitetail -> 300 grain Nosler Partition Protected Point for elk.

Choice #2
All of the above but the projectile would be a Speer Gold Dot .452 HP with a BC of .233

Choice #3
All of the above but 110 grains of T7-2f and a Hornady 10mm 200 grain XTP....

Choice #4 - if consistenly shooting beyond 150 yards
I would go with the 10mm 200 grain Shockwave
a lot of peope would go with the 250 grain Shockwave, but the ballistics of the 200 are outstanding..

just my 2 cents....

Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sabre03

I'm looking for input on what bullet works the best out of your Stainless Omega. such as loading and accuracy? I think it will be interesting to see if there is an overwhelming favorite the Omega 50cal likes.
Thank you for all the help this forum is great, I've learned a lot in the past week.
I shoot a Nosler Partition HG 300g JPP over 100g of Loose 777 using a Harvester Crush Rib sabot. About 2" inch group at 100 yards. I clean between shots by using Black Duck when at the range, 2 swabs then a clean patch then bore butter. When Hunting I use 2 bore butter patches and work the crud ring at the bottom (make them up ahead of time), I turn the patch and use that side to run down thru also. This takes a while for this procedure, but I don't really worry about a 2nd shot, since I am 1 shot ML hunting and I know that. The spead loaders loading into a dirty barrel affects accuracy at 100 yards in my guns (maybe that is me), so I do the extra step. Accuracy is number 1, penetration into the chest cavity is number 2, and number 2.1 is expansion of energy into the chest and exit out the other side for a good blood trail. That is my theory anyway. Best Wishes with your Omega
Chap Gleason Va

Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wonder if hornady will sell the sst-s in bulk someday like the xtp-s. it seems just because its a muzzleloader thing companies like to charge premiums. you can buy rifle sst-s in bulk for other calibers.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sabre03

I'm looking for input on what bullet works the best out of your Stainless Omega. such as loading and accuracy? I think it will be interesting to see if there is an overwhelming favorite the Omega 50cal likes.
Thank you for all the help this forum is great, I've learned a lot in the past week.
Accuracy:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical.html

Bullet Performance:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Features5.html

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Features4.html

http://www.snipersparadise.com/tsmag/July03/july03.htm

and this under bullets and sabot:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

give you plenty of input. My recommendation is to use loose between90 and 110g of Pyrodex or777.
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.