Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Alcohol/Windex Mix?

Old 07-16-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Alcohol/Windex Mix?

Heading out to shoot my muzzleloader for the first time tomorrow. After reading this forum for the past few weeks I noticed allot of folks swab the barrel after a few shots with a isopropyl alcohol/windex or windshield washer mix. Going to try out the alcohol/windex mix because I have it in the house. Just wanted to make sure the ingredients are 50% isopropyl rubbing alcohol (70% by volume) and windex original (has ammonia-D in it). Never did this before and don't want to learn the hard way that these are the two ingredients you guys are talking about.

Thanks for your help and guidance in advance!

Piney
Old 07-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Alcohol/Windex Mix?

Before you use that what kind of powder are you using? You might be better off with straight ww fluid or water.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Personally I use the isopropyl alcohol that is 91% but the 70% should not make a difference. As for the windshield washer fluid I use just the cheapest summer blend stuff Wal Mart sells. I do not get real technical with the mixing. I have a jug and pour it half full of the Windshield washer fluid and then fill the rest with the alcohol.. I use it is a spray type bottle.

As for the kind of powder your shooting, there is a concern that petroleum based products are not to be used around black powder. It creates a tar like substance. I have used this mix shooting every kind of powder there is and never had a problem. The nice thing about the alcohol is it evaporates out of the barrel almost as soon as it is used it seems.

I wet a patch and swab both sides of it down the barrel. A little hint, swab in short strokes and just keep getting a longer stroke as you move down the barrel. If you push that swab straight down the bore, there is a good chance it will get stuck. If you work it in short strokes, it will clean the fowling better and not get stuck. After working both sides of the wet patch I run two dry patches (these are my next wet patch swab if they are not too fowled).

Then just load as normal.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

The Windex or Glass Cleaner with "vinegar" works well also. I carry an empty scent bottle full of it in my possibles bag.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:35 AM

I do whatever Cayugad tells me to do. I got the tip on this mix here (I"m sure from him) and it works great. I use whatever Walmart sells, I think the washer fluid is .$99 a gallon.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:50 AM

I also use the Windex with vinegar - seems to work a little better than the Windex with ammonia.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 PM

Thanks guys... Gave the windex/alcohol mixture a try yesterday and it appeared to work well. Ran a patch down the barrel after every two/three shots and had zero problems.