Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

EXACT steps to shooting for load develpoement.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:59 PM

Default RE: EXACT steps to shooting for load develpoement.

It seems like, generally, most of my guns shoot the faster lighter bullets higher, in terms of point of impact at 100 yards; and heavier slower bullets print lower. Extreme spread might be around 12" at 100yards between a light sabot bullet with three Pyrodex pellets and a heavier lead conical with a moderate load of loose Pyrodex. All three of my in-line guns exhibit this same tendency.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Very interesting cayugad. I was actually a little shocked that I didn't see a change in the POI. Thought the POI would have been higher. I'll have to keep tinkering with it. One thing is for sure, I'm hooked on muzzleloading. Shooting this at the range is darn right enjoyable. Can't wait to get it into the woods!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Whenever I load my first shot, I have a mark on the range rod where I seat the load.However, when I load a followup shot, I can never get the load to seat down to the initial mark. My second shotis always about and inch higher then the initial load mark. I was wondering if this is normal? Thanks!
CVA Kodiak Magnum .50 cal.
100 grain 777 pellets
295 grain Powerbelts
Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM

Maybe your bullet is hanging up on the "crud ring"?? Should seat to the same depth each time. I have read that Triple 7 has characteristics that make it particularly important to get the bullet seated firmly on the charge . . .
Old 07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kathwacckkk

Whenever I load my first shot, I have a mark on the range rod where I seat the load.However, when I load a followup shot, I can never get the load to seat down to the initial mark. My second shotis always about and inch higher then the initial load mark. I was wondering if this is normal? Thanks!
CVA Kodiak Magnum .50 cal.
100 grain 777 pellets
295 grain Powerbelts
No that is not normal and also not safe for you andyour rifle. As Roskoe said, it sounds like your not seating the projectile all the way down to the powder. Do a better job of swabbing after the first shot. Make sure you get that fowling and any possible crud ring out of there. The trouble with Powerbelts are they are made under sized. They are a slip fit projectile so greater care has to be made with them to insure that you reach the witness mark on the ramrod. You might be building some unsafe barrel pressures near the breech.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to the above two gentlemen, swab between your shot to ensure your getting proper and consistant seating. The reason your getting a 1" higher POI is due to increased pressure, which could be unsafe as cayugad points out.