Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

winchester X-150? good/bad?

Old 07-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Default winchester X-150? good/bad?

I went to twin falls yesterday and they had Win. X-150's for sale 45 cal.,camo stock,stainless,fluted barrel, fiber optic sight, neoprene sling, tool kit, second breach plug, and video, and to top it off...a second 50cal. barrelFor $299. I thought it was a good deal, so I got it. It handles good to me and the sights are aligned when Ishoulder it rightfrom the get go.IF...I can get this baby to shoot I'll be more than pleased.Any opinions on the Win. x-150?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: winchester X-150? good/bad?

Since you already purchased it opinions on its quality will do little for you. You have a good rifle. I believe they also have a BPI barrel but will not swear to that. I have never personally held one but any modern inline with the right load can be made to be accurate. Now all you have to do is find the accurate load for the rifle...

Good luck with your new gun(s). Nice option having two barrels. Especially if you can not scope hunt during one season and can during the other. Keep us posted how it shoots for you...
Old 07-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I believe the Winchester MLs are just rebadges CVAs.. if I remember right?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:46 AM

It is a CVA Firebolt with a different stock.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

I think they are made by CVA but that would not keep me from buying a rifle. You know what you bought and the load data for it and it will perform to the expectations. CVA guns I have owned are tanks and have been though heck and back. Are they as good as my T/C's? No but they cost a lot less.

Congrats I am sure you have bought a great rifle that will serve you well. Winchester does not put their name on pieces of crap.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:57 PM

I have a x-150 in .50 that has the blued with camo stock...I like it and it shoots good...although I am saving up to buy a stainless omega with camo stock just because I want a stainless gun so it is more resistant to the elements cuz the muzzleloading season in Michigan isn't very friendly to the gun sometimes...but anyways...I have heared the rumors about the BPI barrels...I trust mine...but i can't see why a company would purposly sell a barrel with weak steel in it...i mean that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen...and I mean if i was a firearm company i don't think i would want something like and exploding gun on my name...but hey thats just my 2 cents...I think it is a very nice gun...mine is rugged...reliable and accurate...i just need something that is more weather resistant...and Im gonna start muzzleloading more too so i wanted something a bit easier to clean...its not that i don't like the winchester
Old 07-16-2005, 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

Winchester does not put their name on pieces of crap.
Winchester has not made a gun in decades. Winchester is a brand name owned by Olin Corporation-- and is anyone's for the licensing fee-- Winchester toys, T-shirts, clocks. The only "Winchester" is Winchester ammunition made by Olin.

Winchester firearms were licensed by USRAC. Now, Browning owns Winchester.

BPI rents the name and logo, that's it. In fact, the only bullets recommended are Powerbelts-- not Olin-Winchester Platinum tips or Partition Golds.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly Randy. I stated they put their name on it. I never implied they had anything to do with the mfg. They still own awsome patends that cover quite a few arms that are made with their name. The reloading components they still make and sell under their own name are exellent products as well not the best but not the most expensive either. The CT bullets are supoose to be about the best in the world and the ones I have tried are great.

I own one modern Winchester a 70 made in the ealy 70's in .308. The only other Winchester I own is a prewar .32WINSPL carbine which was "made especially for smokeless powder" I still shoot that gun all the time.

Do you know of a reason not to own or shoot this rifle this gentleman is talking about?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

Winchester firearms were licensed by USRAC. Now, Browning owns Winchester.
I thought it was the other way around? Browning doesn't make anything anymore.. it's all made by Winchester.. or in Winchester factories.. just like PSE now owns their bow line.. I was under the impression that Browning was just a label now a days?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

I think they are made by CVA but that would not keep me from buying a rifle. You know what you bought and the load data for it and it will perform to the expectations. CVA guns I have owned are tanks and have been though heck and back. Are they as good as my T/C's? No but they cost a lot less.

Congrats I am sure you have bought a great rifle that will serve you well. Winchester does not put their name on pieces of crap.
Yeah.. I didn't say that this was a bad thing.. just that the Winchester ML was a rebadged CVA... nothing wrong w/ that. From what I hear they're a pretty good shooting gun.

Quick Reply: winchester X-150? good/bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.