Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scopes

Old 07-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Default scopes

hi guys i was wanting to ask any body out there about scopes for my inline how powerful woulda person need the scope and whats a good brand
Old 07-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scopes

ORIGINAL: longhunters0

hi guys i was wanting to ask any body out there about scopes for my inline how powerful woulda person need the scope and whats a good brand
What's a good brand, well there are some fantastic optics offered these days. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. As for the power of the scope, I used to think a 1.5 - 4.5 X 32mm would be all that I need, but I have changed that opinion when I started range work and really would appreciate the stronger power for checking things and long range shooting. I think if I had to do it all over again I would get a 2-7 or a 3-9 power. They always say, get as good of optics as you can afford. Personally I went with a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn Scope and am very happy with the clearity, and light gathering of the scope. The low cost was also another nice factor for me....
Old 07-09-2005, 02:24 PM

How far you shooting and what frontstuffer? I prefer at a minimum a 3x9 and it certainly will do for ANY shooting under 200yds. If you have a longer range muzzleloader then you might think about a 4x12 or in that neighborhood. If you swear by less than 150yds then a 2x7 will be fine. THATS why I say a quality 3x9 will fill about 90% of the bill.

Just my .01/2c,
RA
Old 07-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

longhunters0

I tried a 1x4.5 for awhile, convinced myself that was all I needed for a ML - well, I have long since switched over to 3x9x40's. Another thing I convinced myself I really do not need to pay the Leupolds price. There really are a lot of good less expensive scopes out there.

On my ML's I have Bushenell 3200's with rain guard lens - they are great, but you can not get them with a mil-dot reticle. I kinda hate to admit this but I have an A&H with a cheap World Class - TASCO with a mil-dot - $40.00 scope. I have had it on for 3 years now and I have even but two other scopes to replace it with - but the darn thing just keeps on working.

Other scopes you might look at - Cayugad's Dawn to Dusk - but I personally would go to the Bushnell "Trophy" it is one scope up in quality performs really well, again with a mil-dot reticle.

The next scope I personally am going to buy is Burris Fullfield - 3x9x40 with the B-Plex reticle - I haven't got a gun to put it on - maybe it will be so good that I can shed the Tasco.

Another scope that has drawn some attention is the Simmons Aetec (2.8x10x44) - I have not personally checked this one out but there have been several recommendatios for this scope on another board...

Hey! what ever you do good luck

Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM

I have a Bushnell on my Optima its ok and not too expensive either. Either the trophy or the dusk to dawn. Good for the 75 to 100 yard shots I use my muzzleloader for.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:23 PM

I also like the Bushnell Dusk To Dawn. I have the standard eye relief model on my Encore M/L and the long eye relief model on my Encore slug barrel and on my .45-70. I like the extra eye relief on these big kickers so I don't worry about cutting my brow. At 100-150 yards, I am hard pressed to say my Leupold is a better scope but it sure did cost a lot more. I also have a Simmons and it is a very nice scope but I think for the money, you can't beat the Bushnell line-up. If you watch the adds, Bass Pro has some good sales on them during hunting season or pick one up off of eBay.

As far as power, the 3x9x40 does everything you need. Just remember to keep it on the lowest power setting to start with.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for Bushnell Perform great, use to be a Tasco guy but now Bushnell makes the best product for the money. On a m/l 3x9 by 40 or better works good.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: longhunters0

A 2.5X or 4X fixed-power scope is plenty on any ML rifle. You can't beat a Leupold!!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Try a Mueller 2X7.............OpticZone.com
Old 07-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Spike

I give my vote to Bushnell Dusk to Dawn. Use a 1.5X4.5 on my White and it works great. Here in New York heavy woods allow only short shooting. The longest range I've ever shoot a deer was a little over 100 yards with my 44mag Red Hawk.

Quick Reply: scopes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.