Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trouble Grouping SST's in Muzzel Loader

Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 PM
BS

Default RE: Trouble Grouping SST's in Muzzel Loader

I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 AM

UPDATE.

I went to town yesterday to four gun shops and two outdoor places and couldn't find fixed sites for my gun. I ended up spending the money on a new Leopold for my son's .243 and moved his Simmons to my black powder rifle. I know it isn't a good quality scope but I figured for the temporary it would show me if it was my scope.

If the Storm don't swamp me this weekend I plan on shooting. I will let you guys know the results.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Spike

Stone, I have tried the 300gr SST's also and gun shot good (1") but not great. Switched to the TC shockwave's and it really shoots great (.5). If you compare the 2 bullets they are Identical except for the plastic tip. SST's are red and TC'c are yellow. But the big difference is the sabot. The SST's sabot is longer and the TC is shorter. Also you might want to try the Barnes 285gr Spit Fires with the yellow sabots. Make sure they are the yellow sabots. They had a run with they put black sabots in with them and they won't group at all. The Spit Fires are a boat tail bullet so the yellow sabot is made for them. I spit patch between each shot. Also try tighting your stock bolts to 60 in/lbs. Start at 40 and shoot 3 then 50 and shoot 3.....etc. To me your cleaning to much.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Indyultra,

Yesterday in one of my well known gun shops I asked the guy about the SST vs. the Shockwave. He told me that he was asked that question so much that he called to find out. He told me that he was told that there was no difference between the two except for the color of the plastic tip, with the bullet and the Sabots were the same. Goes to show you how much these guys at the stores know.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Spike

Well i been useing lighter fluid for over 30 years ,Why? Because it removes Rust and is highly Flamable.Wendex has a bit of water in it and leaves/makes rust in a day or so.No matter how dry you get it after you clean with it.Like i said i use the Cig Lighter Fluid and love it.But as the saying goes .TO EACH THERE OWN
Old 07-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Larry I have been using the 50 windex or washer fluid and 50 of Isopropyl Alky for a few years no rust or anything is displayed in my ML bores. The Alcohol will counter act the windex/ammonia much like it does when following up a copper removing solvent like Barnes Cr10. Alcohol dries very quickly and creates no pressure issues as well like gun oils, etc. I must admit never thought of or tried your suggestion but the solution mentioned by a few posters and myself has worked very well and shown no ill effect in my personal experience. You hit it with to "each your own"! With an ML shooting BP or subs clean/pleasant shootingis what were all after in the end.

Stonecold, well he was right the tips are a different colour and it is the same bullet!!! Anybody that has actually compared the 2 will know the sabots are not included in the similarity! I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, most likely our main store would say their is no such bullet...! Try the TC's just for S&G's you may find exactly what you need. If I recall right the TC were not as large in diameter measured as the SST's as well? Somebody please correct me if I am wrong though!

PS Best of Luck, hope you get her going in the right direction!!
Old 07-10-2005, 03:15 PM

With the change of the scopes the SST gave me one inch groups at 100 yards. The next time at the range will tell me if it repeats. If it does I will try the Shockwaves.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Stone Cold.. did that fellow mention what company makes the sabot for the Thompson Center Shockwaves? I've always wondered that. The reason I ask is when I first started shooting the SST's I used a Harvester Black High Pressure Sabot and could hardly load the thing into my Black Diamond XR. In fact the first day out, I broke my short starter trying.

After that I purchased some of the 300 & 250 grain Shockwaves with their enclosed sabots and it was like night and day. They loaded easier and the accuracy was exceptional. Then Thompson Center threw me a loop. I bought some Shockwaves a while back and they were so tight, I could not load them. I changed the sabot over to a Thompson Center Mag Express sabot and they loaded fine again. My first thought was, they changed the sabot company... I still have a couple containers of shockwaves left to play with, but wondered about the sabots is all...

I was glad to hear your rifle came around. 1" groups are nothing to sneeze at no matter what distance you shoot them at. At 100 yards I think you got a real winner there... good luck with the next range session.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Spike

The T/C Shockwaves or one and the same as the Lock-N- Load via Hornady and or in-fact made via Hornady, just with out the stem that the Lock-N-Loadhas on them
Old 07-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

As I understand it the sabots for the hornady and T/C sst's and shockwaves were made by MMP.And sometime back a poster posted that hornady and T/C were going to start making their own sabots this year.wether they did or not I don't know,but just got 3 boxes of the sst's and the sabots still look the same as they did before.
When I first started shooting a encore I chose to use a 40 cal bullet in a 50 cal barrel,and the only place I could get that sabot was from Canada (PB)and first tried his bullets and liked them but couldn't get them to shoot as good as the 195 gr barnes,then the sst' 200gr came out and switched to them and then I could order the sabots straight from MMP.
Would like to know too if mmp are still making the sabots for them or are they making their own.

Quick Reply: Trouble Grouping SST's in Muzzel Loader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.