Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trouble Grouping SST's in Muzzel Loader

Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Trouble Grouping SST's in Muzzel Loader

Thanks for the help. The rifle is going into it's second season but I have probably only run about 35 to 40 bullets out of it. I am going to put my iron sights on and try to group it. If this works then I will get another scope. If it doesn't I will try other suggestions.

Can those who shoot the Optima Pro tell me what bullets and loads they are using.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: herman

Why carry a windex bottle with you when a little spit will do.I realize everyone does things different and what works for one don't nessary work for another.
A fellow got me to zero his knight disc in last week,He brought the bullets (240 xtp,250 sst,and 245 PB) and t-7 pellets.
I was leary of the t-7 because I had shot over 4 lbs of it the summer before and didn't like it at all in 5 rifles.But he wanted to use them so I did.Started out with 2 pellets and the sst 250,spit patched after every shot,took 5 shots to zero @100 yds,let the barrel cool for a long time while I shot other rifles and the first 3-shot group was .998 in and the second group was 1.04 in.
Took the rifle and target back to him and he was happy.Some rifles it is easy to get to shoot good and some are not so lucky,sometimes you have to try a lot of different things just to get a 3in or better group.And to I haven't seen a knight rifle that didn't shoot ok.
Below is the kind of groups I strive for out of my muzzleloaders.
We don't carry big Windex bottles. We get one of those very small scent bottles at most auto-parts - pour out the scent & add Windex/alky to it. It holds only acouple ounces - shoots a mist spray that goes wide on a patch & you can carry it in your pants pocket.

Alot of folks don't care for spit in our modern, high sodium-intake society. Sodium is an enemy of uncleaned, ML bores. It causes rust should you let your ML go an extended period without cleaning.... like some of us do. On several occasions, I've gone two weeks without cleaning 40 shots of 777 powder. I wouldn't dare try that using spit vs Windex-swabbing. Not with my salt intake. We live in a fast-food society. Our grandfathers did not... so spit worked fine for them.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:37 AM

The next time my daughter refers to me as a "Salty Dog", I'll have some historical context to add to the conversation
Old 07-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know about the grandfathers up your way but down here they lived off salt cured meat and grits.
Been shooting muzzleloaders since the late 1940's but have never seen a spit patchrust a barrel yet.
As I said what works for one don't mean it works for every one.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I got out of the spit swabbing for a couple reasons... first, no matter how careful I was I always seemed to get black powder fowling in my mouth and the taste was just terrible...[:@] The other reason and the main reason I went from spit to a alcohol/windex or pure alcohol patch is, I was getting hangfires and misfires when I swabbed with spit. I guess I got them too wet.

Like Triple Se7en, I have a very small pump mist spray bottle that I fill 50/50 with alcohol and windshield washer fluid. It works great. Never leaks and is small. I can carry it in my shirt pocket. I spritz a patch with a couple pumps and swab away...

But herman has a point, what ever works for you, is what you should use.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
Been shooting muzzleloaders since the late 1940's but have never seen a spit patchrust a barrel yet.
=================================

Don't sound like youever used 777 & kept her dirty for two weeks while spit-patching either! Sounds also like you'rereaching real hardfor a poor excuse - since only one spit patch would not leave much body salt in the bore anyways.

If you really paid close attention to my post, I was talking about mega-shots range work - then not cleaning your gun for an extended period - up-to 14 days. I'm also not saying everyone eats Big Macs before they go to the range either. All I'm saying is that salt from your spit will rust a bore in given time after extensive range work- if kept unclean. If you don't believe me, that's fine with me.

I'm really getting tired of all the idiotic, negativeresponseson ML boardswhere someone disputessomeone else's words without trying the experiment first. As a result of so much negativity, I'm going tobegin offeringexclusive adviceon ML-ing hereat Hunting.net &on other ML boards of the internet using only their Personal Message Features. I will still respond to alot of troubled posters secretly here& not have to deal with theincompetent replies.

Take extra ML care folks &Adios Amigos.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:37 PM
bigcountry

Maybe you need to take some advise? Maybe you could open your mind and learn a thing or two. But I doubt it.

I won't hold my breath.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 PM

Hi Folks, I am in no way an authority...but if your rifle doesn't like to shoot Hornady stuff, then don't shoot it, or severly limit the range of your shots accordingly. They're lots of other projectile manufacturers out there, folks.Everyone in this forum has theirown distinct routinewhich ensures consistant loading, but everybody has had to be initiated through load experimentation. That's what make front-stuffin' way cool.

Personally, I swing a chicken over my head counterclockwise, and load with my left hand...but WINDEX?! That's just crazy talk!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:12 PM
BS

".but WINDEX?! That's just crazy talk! "

Hey, I've been using Windex for over 20 years, and it still works great!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:19 PM

It's all in good fun my friend! Some poor soul posts a honest question, and it turns out to be a pissing match between those who think they have invented the better mousetrap. Take care.

Quick Reply: Trouble Grouping SST's in Muzzel Loader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.