Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breaking in an 209 x 50 encore barrel

Old 06-25-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Breaking in an 209 x 50 encore barrel

I just purchased a 209 x 50 barrel for my encore. I was wondering if anybody had any hints for breaking in the barrel.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Breaking in an 209 x 50 encore barrel

Shoot clean, shoot clean. You can smooth it out a little faster with full diameter concials like maxiballs. But will lead it up a little.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Another good way to break in a new inline barrel is to get some .490 roundball and patching material and just go out for the day and shoot patched roundball with about 50 grains of powder. I will smooth out the barrel, be a lot of fun to shoot, and I think you might be amazed at the accuracy of the roundball when pushed slow.....

As Big Country also said conicals are a good way. You could also get some J-B Bore Paste and a scotch brite pad. Take a patch worm. Cut small chunks of scotch brite to put on the patch worm. Smear some J-B Bore paste and work that through the barrel. What you're actually doing is a very gentle lapp job. I would give it about 50 strokes and then clean it and shoot it.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well if you look at the bore of your new rifle you will see it has a cut close to a modern centerfire rifle. Although I do not recall mine having a break in period it or myself have gotten better over the years. I would recomend buying the cheapest projectile of similar construction to what you want to use hunting and go shoot it a bunch. Cheapshot sabots from T/C are just as they say cheap and you won't break the bank shooting them. If you plan on shooting lubed bullets or prb's do as Caugad said as this will help "season" the bore.

That gun is capable of shooting MOA and you will have a harder time making it shoot well than it will have a hard time shooting well.

I recommend a few different rounds that shoot real well in that rifle but again all guns (and their shooters) are a bit different. I find shooting pistol bullets bought by the 100 and buying sabots seperate is economical and very accurate. I have had great luck with the Hornaday 265g Interlock .429 bullet with anywhere from 100-120g 777. The sabots I use are the mag express (T/C) and the Knight green sabots made for the .429 bullet.

Good luck and welcome to the Encore club.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad & bigcountry are exactly right. Fire about 25 conicals or patched round balls or go the bore paste route and the barrel will be ready for great service.