Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Company

Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Traditions Company

Kevin 1,

Yeah kevin 1, that's the way I am, when I buy it, I expect it to be right, or they don't get my business. About five years ago I bought a car and the dealer swore to me they had been over it with a 200 point type check or something like that. I got it home and parked it, got in the car thenext morning and it was making a wierd sound. Needless to say, I took it back immediately that day, threw the keys on the dealers desk, ask to borrow their phone, called my bank right then in front of the manager and stoped payment on the check, should have seen their faces.

When someone tells or represents something to me, I expect it to be right, no questions or excuses, be it a gun, house, dog, car, etc. If their gun was so great, why are theyasking people to send it back, and why did they have to make changes, they sould have never let them leave the factory. Quality control is obviously lacking.

dog1
Old 06-30-2005, 03:56 PM
bigcountry

I hear ya dog1. But boy, your going to be wearing a long face alot these days with that attitude.

I have almost came to accept medrocracy in all products and when I get a good one, I am just happily surprised. Its sad I know.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen those Black Diamond kits with cleaners and loaders and everything else you need but powder primers and the kitchen sink selling for around $250. When you add in the cost of the other stuff it starts making that rifle a real deal.

On the other hand if like the feel of the rifle and you know it dosn't have the trigger problem I would say go for it. It is not going to blow up on you unless you screw up. The way some people talk about imported muzzleloaders you would think more people are being killed by them here than our brothers in Iraq. I wish they would get there facts a bit more inline with the truth.

When was the last time you heard of anyone being hurt or killed using any rifle the way it was designed to be loaded and shot?

When was the last time you heard of anyone being hurt using a muzzleloader the way it was designed to be loaded and shot?

The only time I know of it happening was when some fool loaded his T/C Hawkin up with smokeless rifle powder and put sme nice hot steel in his arms.(ouch) That rifle was dispayed in a local gun shop for quite a few years after that little fiasco.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand where you're coming from Dog1 , but every manufacturer occasionally has one or two "slip by" , and in the case of Traditions they would have gladly made it right . One lemon does not necessarily mean that all of them are .

The trigger on Ruger 10-22s is purposely set on the heavy side by the factory , probably to protect Ruger from the all too popular liability torts these days , and it's about the only thing about the rifle that I don't like .
Old 07-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

bigcountry,

I know what you're saying, but don't it just chap your rear to get a lemon or get burnt by a sales pitch. As I said, it was my fault mostly, should have opened the packing and tested the trigger pull.

However, I made a fairly good shooting gun out of it and will most likely use it to hunt whitetail and hogs. I hope to go muzzleloading next year for elk, if I get drawn, and will definitely take a better gun.

dog1
Old 07-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Dont bother with traditions, save your money and look into another like TC or knight.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:55 PM

The name should tell you something... as in the TRADITION of building smokepoles. There is NOTHING "traditional" about building modern inline muzzleloaders, ESPECIALLY ones shooting over 100grains of blackpowder substitute. Go back too the first page of this post and you will see the CORRECT description of the proof testing of POS smokepoles that are built in Europe too standards that are nearly 2 centuries old. The fact that they are even allowed into this country and then marketed as being equal too or capable of firing large charges of blackpowder subsititutes is mind boggling if you ask me.

They simply are DANGEROUS and it's not a matter of if but WHEN are you going to have problems and a potentially dangerous situation? I had a customer come in lastyear with a POS old Traditions inline that he had been shooting for a couple of years. The tube of his Nikon scope was nearly collapsed between the objective lens and the crosshair turrets. The frontmost screw of his scope base was blown into the scope and who knows where it went from there! []He is only lucky it didnt go through some part of his body. We never sold such aPOC tobegin with and he learned his lesson about cheap smokepoles but we sent it back for him and sold him a new Nikon for our help.

In looking over the design I noticed the rearmost of the barrel, along the breech end wasn't even beefed up and barely thicker than the rest of the barrel. Corrosion, rust, weak steel and a charge MUCH larger than the gun was designed for, contributed to making a projectile of the mount screw. I pulled the base off andchecked thewall thickness between the bore and the bottom of thescope mount holes, WOW they weremuch to thin to begin with!!! They replaced his barrel no questions asked and probably we're more fearful of a lawsuit than anything else. I thought, "They know damn well that gun isn't designed for magnum loads yet they continue to advertise them as safe for modern muzzleloading!"

STAY AWAY FROM THEM! Do yourself a favor and stick with a Knight,TC or Savage smokeless! They will last you a lifetime+ and you don't have to worry about possibly orphaning your children and widowing your wife...
RA
Old 07-02-2005, 06:08 PM

Alot of people have wrote on this post, I agree that the Spanish made barrels used by CVA and Traditions are not nearly as good as a Knight or TC. I have shot my Cva Optima for two seasons now. I use 80 grains of triple 7 ffg loose powder with a 250 grain Tc Shockwave sabot. I have shot probable 150 rounds though this rifle. It hasnt blown up. If the Spanish barrels were that unsafe Im sure they would do away with them or there standards raised for these barrels.
I know I may be comparing apples to oranges but, its kinda like people who drive new vehicles and live in new houses. They look down on people who drive older vehicles, live in trailer houses. Some people just cant spend 500 or 600 dollars for new bows and rifles. When a 200 dollar Optima will kill a deer just like a 500 dollarknight revolution. My 1200 dollar Chevy Pick-up gets me to where Im going ,just like a 25,000 truck gets people where they are going. Sure a wheel may come off my truck and wreck me and kill me.Its just a risk I have to take. Just like shooting a Spanish barreled rifle, its a risk I take.
At least Im going and shooting.I love black powder rifles and I love pick-up trucks.If I were rich I would have the best of both of them.