Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot's

Old 05-24-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Sabot's

Hey,
I haven't been shooting inlines and sabots,all that long.
I picked up two different sabots shot from two diffrent bullets.Both were shot with 150 grain Pyrodex pellets,from a Knight Disc .50
Bullet 1. Barns 245 grain with yellow sabot.
The yellow sabot petals didn't fan out.The biggest gap in the petals was about .660
The base of the Barns sabot had flared out to a diameter of .570
The thickness of both petals on both sabots was .028

Bullet 2. Hornady 250 SST with black sabot.
The black sabot petals fan out and looked like a airplane's propeller.
The base of the Hornadys sabot had flared out to a diameter of.515
Both bullets shot good groups and I'm planning to hunt with the Barn's bullets.
Have read a few post on sabots and wasn't sure if others have checked the sabots like this before?
I'm thinking that the Barns yellow sabot that flared out to the.570 base.That this tighter seal would burn the 3 Pyrodex pellets better.Getting the full 3 pellet load.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sabot's

As long as both loads are shooting well for you, I wouldn't worry too much about the used sabot condition.

For what it is worth, while I haven't shot those Barnes rounds, I have shot a bunch of the Hornadys and all the sabots I found ended up the same way - the petals folded out almost to 90deg to the base. And that is just using 80gr of loose 777 powder.

Non-magnum loads of Pyro powder or CleanShot never peeled back the petals so severely in the past - so I think what we are seeing is the result of the extra presuure generated by 777 powder or magnum loads.

But like you, my accuracy had been superb ...................... so I ain't worrying about what they look like until I start having a problem - THEN they may come in handy for troubleshooting.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:08 PM

i would recommend powerbelt bullets due to there small plastic skirt on the back end of the gun you dont have to clean the gun after each shot or as often when firing these rounds ( cleaning is still recomended).i would recomend a 225 or 250gr bullet with pyrodex pellets to back them up.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

The yellow sabots are tuff. I shoot them in the Buffalo Bullet SSB's and your right, they do not spread out. All that means is they might travel a little further down range. I also thing they hold on to the bullet better. I sure like the Barnes Expander in 250 grain for my Wolverine II. That is one fine shooting projectile. I just wish they were cheaper. So instead I shoot the Thompson Center Mag Express 240 grain XTP's they shoot almost as well as the Barnes and are a third of the cost.

The Shockwaves in the black sabots open all the way up. I have found some of them twenty yards down range but again, I am not really that concerned about that. As long as the accuracy is there.