Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st time out beartooth

Old 05-22-2005, 10:45 PM

Default 1st time out beartooth

I had a little free time at camp today and got about 20 shoots out with my beartooth mag .50 cal. I have a bushnell 1.5-4.5 scope. I had taken the scope off my slug gun and was not bore sighted. I was not even on the paper at 25 yards. My last three shots could be covered with a silver dollar @ 50 yards laying on the ground without a rest or bench. I was very impressed with my 110$ purchase. I was using xtp 245 grain sabots and 300 grain powerbelts hollow points with 85 grains of 777 fff. Rain was on the way so I rushed every shot and didn't clean my barrel until I got home. The last load I broke my rod (cleaning jag end). I dug the bullets out of the sand back stop but I will go in to this more later when I can post pictures. I cant wait until I can have a properrest and see what I can do at 100 yrds and beyond. Oh one last thing I know know what people mean when they talk about the crud ring. A pain to clean.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 1st time out beartooth

Well that sounds like an impressive shoot outing. It also sounds like you found a couple loads real quick. I have heard others tell that the rifles are good shooters. You are just one more example. Never judge a rifle by the cost. I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum I paid $89.00 for and it is an exceptional shooter. I have a RED DOT mounted on mine because scopes are illegal in the state during muzzleloader season.

I am sure you will work up some exceptional shooting loads and get the rifle shooting just the way you want. Keep us posted. As for the crud ring, a normal swabbing with even water between shots will take care of that. Also if you are not going to get to the rifle for cleaning for an extended period of time after you shoot, at least pull the breech plug out of the rifle our you can run into some real problems. My friend always carried a zip lock plastic bag to the range and when he is done shooting breaks the rifle down to the breech and bolt which go in the bag. He has a long way to drive when he leaves my house and learned the hard way about not taking the breech plug out.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad again giving great advice and my experience says he is right. One thing I noticed from your post is you were using the hunting ramrod at the range. The only way to go is have a rod for shooting and one you carry under the barrel when hunting for loading a second shot. Unless you are blessed with a nice aluminum or other hard rod as you gun's primary rod only use it hunting and buy a range rod for shooting and cleaning.

Good shooting just clean a bit more between your shots.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:18 AM

I know realize that and have to buy a new under the barrel ramrod and something for the range. Does anyone know a company that makes a better under the barrel ramrod. thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Does not have to fit under the barrel for the range. I found a CVA heavy flexible rod at a local shop and it is about twice the diameter of the under barrel rod but works great at the range. I usually take about three rods. One to load, one to swab and a spare which saves a lot of time changing ends on the rods.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Hey,
Years ago I got a brass rod for my .54 Hawken's.
The rod will fit in my Knight,but it's alot longer and sticks out pass the end of the barrel.
I know I could cut it,to fit.But then what would I use to load my Hawken?
The brass rod has worked very well,for both rifles.
And under the Knight it adds weight helping tame the 150 grain load's kick.
Maybe someone can tell you where to find a beass rod?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Man I hit the e insteed of the r,in spelling Brass.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:51 PM

hay SCHOOLBOY with 80 grains of goex they shoot a patch and ball really well also. it can touch some holes at 80 yards. this is what i am using in the regular gun season. this is one of the cheapest guns that i have bought and it is one of the better shooters.