Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone shooting?

Old 05-22-2005, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone shooting?

Was just curious as to if how many have been getting some shooting in with their muzzleloaders? Due to work having me dog tired...haven't been out in about a month. Gonna try for today. Have managed to build a couple of new ground blinds in preparation for our September muzzleloader season though.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Anyone shooting?

ORIGINAL: quigleysharps4570

Was just curious as to if how many have been getting some shooting in with their muzzleloaders? Due to work having me dog tired...haven't been out in about a month. Gonna try for today. Have managed to build a couple of new ground blinds in preparation for our September muzzleloader season though.

Except for hunting season or the occasional family conflict I shoot flintlocks every Saturday morning, 40 shots/trip...some people play golf on Saturdays...I go to the range at first light, finish before it gets too hot...been doing that for a few years now.

99% of my shooting is just practice from normal hunting/shooting positions, using patched round balls, coke cans lined up at 50yds (or a small steel hanger on an 'A' frame)
Old 05-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing like it at first light. That's usually the way I do it during the summer down on the river where I shoot. Some mornings it's so peaceful I can't bring myself to shoot for awhile. I soak it all in before the smoke goes to flying.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:09 AM

I try to get out at the range one a week with the m/l ,now summer is here between fishing and shooting is a great way to spend time all summer .work what that word,I been luck to retire after 20 years in lawenforcement ,never look back
Old 05-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Right now I have been busy making wood for next season and doing a little fishing in the morning, so I have only been getting out only about three times a week in the afternoons. I take about 20 shots or so with a few different rifles, then relax at night cleaning them...

I have a few more hours and all the winter wood supply will be done, then I can really get out and burn somemore powder....
Old 05-22-2005, 09:13 AM

I've been doing a lot of shooting - I do volunteer work as a rangemaster at the city run shooting range and I shoot almost everytime I'm working (can't shoot if we're really busy).
Old 05-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Have decided to put off my mowing this evening and go try out that new patch knife. Gotta get back on the right track.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

I drive past my favorite place to shoot after work a few times a week. This week I got to shoot 4 times including some centerfire shooting.

Today for the first time in my life I shot a real Remington Rollingblock military rifle in 7mm mauser. That rifle and cartidge would be a great deer gun.

Sometimes you get nervous shooting these old guns but hey this thing looked almost new. It cost my friend who is a collector quite a bit of money.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Those are a nice rifle...how'd she shoot?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

GREAT!! It was the first time even he had shot it and we both did well with it. With little work someone shooting it will have great groups. The best shots came with believe it or not PMC ammo. Who knew?

Anyway the last three days in a row I shot and had a lot of fun indeed. Two days with my favorite hunting and shooting partner