Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA with Stuck Breach Plug

Old 05-10-2005, 09:12 PM

Default CVA with Stuck Breach Plug

Hi Everyone,
Hey,my older brother has a CVA Mag.Bolt 150 with a stuck breach plug [:'(] .
I read the post about the PB Blaster ,and the Boliling water and Ice water,to remove the plug.
We haven't tried any of these yet.
But his breach plug hasn't a nut type head. So we can't use a socket on the Breach plug.
The CVA MAG Bolt 150 has a slot. We put two of the tools together trying not hit the scope. But we didn't have any luck ,get it loose.But we didn't hit the scope.
Has anyone had the same problem,with this type of CVA?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CVA with Stuck Breach Plug

No but I have on other guns with a slot. You probabally should remove the scope and stock as you try to fix this as some heavy handed action will probally happen. How many rounds since it was last out? What were you using for powder?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you might have to pull or remove the scope in this case. Pulling the scope is not as big a deal as it sounds. After the scope is pulled you will be able to work on it better. They usually come back pretty close to where they were and it give you that much more reason to get out and shoot again.

Also remove the barrel from the stock. And take the trigger assembly off. If the Mag Bolt is like my Staghorn, it is held on with one allen wrench bolt. The hot and cold treatment might be enough to break the plug free with a good breech plug wrench. Other wise you will have to plug the breech plug somehow. Get some penetrating oil on it, and in it. After a day, put the barrel in a vice and then get an grip with the breech plug wrench. You should be able to force it out....

I understand that some people do not check their breech plugs from time to time on the range. I do after my experience with a stuck plug. It just is that little bit of insurance that the plug will come out after the shoot. Also if your have to travel any kind of distance from the range, take a zip lock baggie and pull the plug and bag it before heading home. It will save a lot of headaches a couple hours down the road. At least break it free.

Also use a quality breech plug anti seize. CVA makes one of the best on the market in my opinion. Since I went to the CVA Slick Breech plug and nipple grease I have had very few problems...

If all else fails, get a hold of CVA. They have a good customer service.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:02 PM

My brother should have said something to me before now,about the breach plug seizing.
He's new to muzzleloading,and he thought it was no big deal, he said the gun still shoots.
He didn't say,but I think it could be maybe as long as 5 months,thats it's been stuck?
He has been shooting Pyrodex Pellets.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Dominant Buck

If it has been 5 months since that plug was pulled and they have been shooting it all along, there is little chance that you are going to get it out yourself. I think your best bet might be to send it to CVA.

You could try if you want. You will have to pull the scope anyway to mail the rifle to the. (saves weight on postage) but I think with the time frame you are talking your chances are slim to none. When you get it back, pull the plug after every shoot, and clean the rifle through the barrel. It would be interesting to see the condition of the inside of the barrel once the plug is pulled...

Good luck. []
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 PM

Hey Cayugad,
My brother's Mag.Bolt has a real hard triger pull.How's the triger on your CVA?
He's going fishing with me to the lake, so I'll tell him about all the help from Hunting Net.com
THANKS
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Dominant Buck

The trigger on my Staghorn is EXCELLENT. There is very little creep to it and it breaks clean and crisp. For a $89.00 rifle this thing is a real shooter. 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 245 grain powerbelt and there is nothing safe out there.. A very accurate rifle for sure...

Mine has the nickel barrel and I mounted a bushnell RED DOT on it. It is my walk in the nasty brush and marsh rifle. Light weight, quick to shoulder and an all around excellent little rifle...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Typical Buck

If the breechplug has not been removed for that long a period and using Pyrodex which is very corrosive I would be very concerned that the barrel is corroded enough to cause a problem with possible dangerous results (like a barrel rupture that has been reported with CVA barrels). Personally I would send it back to CVA or scrap it. I would not recommend shooting the rifle any more until checked out by someone that knows what they are doing. If the barrel ruptures while shooting it will likely cause severe damage to the shooter including death. Please do not shoot it until checked out we do not need anymore reports of barrel rupture.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

As mentioned, remove the scope and remove the barrel from the stock and the trigger assembly from the barrel.

Use the search utility and try some of the techniques mentioned. Also, penetrating oil for several days to a week might work if all else fails.

If you get the plug out, take a very close look at both the plug and barrel threads. If they are galled or damaged, then pitch the barrel and start over with a new one and better maintenance practices.

Or, contact CVA and arrange to send them the barrel for plug removal and inspection. A rusted in plug may have comprimised the threads and the over all integrity of the barrel when it's finally removed. They will be able to remove it and advise if the barrel is junk or not.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Thanks Everyone for the info.
Ya'll are going to fall out of the chair that you are setting in,after reading this.
I talked to my brother today,and he said that it has been 1year and 5 months that the breach plug has been taken out. And he has shot it several times in almost year and a 1/2.
He has been cleaning the barrel and everything on the rifle.
But he hasn't taken the plug out,and clean.
I've told him about all there reply post about his breach plug.He said for me to thank everybody for him.
I think I'm going to talk him in to sending the Mag.Bolt back to CVA.
Better safe than sorry,and hurt.

Quick Reply: CVA with Stuck Breach Plug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.