Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

You are on an unguided hunt and

Old 05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default You are on an unguided hunt and

although two buddies are in your camp you are hunting alone and get an elk. Its opening week so the temps are probably warm. What do you do and exactly what equipment do you recommend carrying with you in your pack? Does a person skin the elk out and quarter it or just quarter it and start packing it back to camp? Do I need to carry a good strong hoist in my pack along with the knives and saw? Remember, horses/mules aren't available.

Might be stupid questions, but some I need answers to please. I am trying to cover everything and be as ready as possible.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You are on an unguided hunt and

My first option would be to go back and get my two buddies for help. As far as what to pack I would have to say of course a nice knife. Probably a skinner with a guthook. A bone saw and a pack ax to aid in quartering. A bunch of game bags and some rope along with my frame pack. With or without my buddies I would skin and quarter the elk. I would then bag it and start humping the quarters back to camp. I would bag the remaining quarters and cover them with brush until I returned. Once back at camp I like to hang the quarters from tree limbs to try and prevent other animals from taking them until a pack horse arrives (Usually at drop camps). I would also take my gps as well as planty of water (I get thirsty pretty quick ).
Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

along with my frame pack.
So a pack frame is necessary? This is an item I have been thinking about but was not absolutely sure of. By the way, its very possible we may have access to ATV's for packing out game.........that is, if the federal and state laws allow ATV's to be used.

Thanks bearkls.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM

I carry a wyoming saw, skinning knife, buck knife, rope and game bags. Tie a leg off to an uphill tree and pull it tight to spread. Gut the animal then skin it and cut the quarters free as you go and bag each one. It is hard work but not that big a deal. Most important thing is to get the animal gutted immediately and prop it open with a stick and cover with game bag to keep flies out then go for help or start to work. If you can get an atv close on a forest road you can tie front quarters across front rack, back quarters on back and tie the carcass on top of the seat and ride to camp on top of the carcass. Looks kinda like Dahlmer but I have done it a few times and it saves a ton of work. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:05 PM

I would do anything needed to have horses available. Many guides will do a simple pack out for you for 2-300 buck, WELL worth it. If its warm weather you only have HOURS before an elk will start to rot. Whitetail hunting will help you out when it comes to getting an elk, but it means NOTHING when it comes to field dressing/careing for the downed animal. No offense, but if you dont know that a pack frame is needed to pack out an elk you should REALLY, I mean REALLY reconsider doing this yourself. Either get a semi-guided hunt or hook up w/ someone who has done it and has first hand knowledge and go with them a few times until you see how its done. If you get an outfitter, MAKE them show you how its done while they are doing it, many people expect the guide to do all the work because thats what he gets paid for , and they are right. most guides will expect you to sit on your a$$ while they do all the work, dont pass on the chance to learn. The other side of that is that your paying him so... if you so choose, its also his job to teach you how its done and let you help. Like I said before , dont be offended, but you really should not try this at the present time, and no amount of reading on the subject will help. Until you get out there with someone who knows how to handle a downed elk and you see FIRSTHAND a time or two you shouldnt try this, now after you have an elk or two under your belt have fun on your own terms.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Continued thanks for the advice guys. Pack frame or no pack frame I'll get it out if I have to carry it out on my back on top of me, no matter how many trips it takes..........with my buddy's help of course.

While mentioning pack frames, does anyone have any experience with Black Ridge frames/backpacks? I can find no info/pics on the web, but Keystone Country Store sells one called the Puma, and says the frame has a meat shelf.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:33 PM

When you go to buy a pack frame, go to a really SERIOUS backpacking store and look around and ask alot of questions. All the aspects that make a good heavy backpacking pack desireable(padded and FULLY adjustable straps, waist belt, chest strap, ect) also apply to a frame pack for hunting, the only real difference is that you dont need all the fancy pockets and gizmos, just one large compartment. the alaskan series is pretty good, you can look at them and compare the others to it.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure why anyone wants to use a saw to 1/4 an elk. You can do it all with a knife. A clean bed sheet comes in handy too, you can lay all the meat on it while you are working. I'd suggest deboneing every thing, except the hind quarters first, then put every thing in breathable meat bags and hang them in a tree so that air can get to as much meat as possible to cool. It's not hard to do half an elk, then roll it over and do the other half.
If you're going to be hiking back to camp for help, you got to at least field dress an elk, and don't diddle daley around waiting for help. Leave a note as to your where abouts and situation at camp, and get after hauling the meat back yourself.
The stream of cold water is good, but not all elk fall near a stream!
Any good frame pack should come with a detachable bag, should have adjustments for shoulder width, should be lite, should have a bench that can fold down to support the weight. And bungy cords work well to secure a load.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:53 PM

yeah, I've heard that bit about packing out no matter what before. Like I said no offense, but you have no clue what you're getting into and you wont be ready. Get some experience under your belt, then you'll be much better prepared for it. I'll give you a good example, my wife had an elk tag. We spotted a 6x6 @ 300 B&C points. He was several miles away, and across two canyons (remember there are few roads in most elk country) I had no access to horses at the time so I didnt EVEN consider going after that bull. had he been a 330+ B&C sure we'd have gone after him.
P.S. - if you dont process your own game, start doing it for a few years before you go after that elk, it'll really help out when/if you have to bone one out. I bone my elk if they are over 15 min walk(without a pack, because you can figureat LEAST 4x as long when you have the pack on) from the road/vehicle.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:16 PM

One of the sadest things i ever saw was 2 guys trying to pack out a cow on a pole, they even asked if I had some rope they could use. the funny part was there was 6" of good snow on the ground and it was down hill to the road. These guys had no clue. I did 1/2 the elk for them and they draged a 1/2 at a time out. with that said I'll say that you should plan on packing it out on your back. buy a good pack, If you don't cut up your own meat you should start if for no other reason the money you save and it will make the boneing job go EZ. REMMEMBER to leave proof of sex at least in Wyo.
The last few years I hunt out of a camp were everyone want to help if you get game down.

Whether you bone it out or not the info given in this posting will get the job done for you.

Quick Reply: You are on an unguided hunt and

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.