Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

You are on an unguided hunt and

Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Default RE: You are on an unguided hunt and

You can bone out the meat and carry it out - it's unlikely you'll eat the bones, so why carry them. I carry a big pack frame, experience has shown it'll hold more meat than I can carry.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 AM

bearklr,
I use the Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader also and love it. The extra large gut hook is awesome.

elkaholicid
Michael
Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also don't gut any elk and don't use a saw, although the idea of sawing off the head is a good one. Don't think that is as important for a cow though. However, I can fairly easily cut the head off with a knife too. Being a veterinarian may help since I know the anatomy, but basically you cut between the vertebrae, not as fast but can be done in about 5 minutes. I guess since I can do it with a knife, and a saw is somewhat bulky to carry in a pack, I just leave it out.

If you haven't seen the "gutless" method, do research and there should be a post with pictures. Bottom line is with the elk laying flat on one side skin it from the front knee and back hock all the way across the body until you get to the middle of the spine. Take the front and rear quarters off with knife or saw and lay them out on a clean sheet or into game bags. I do not debone them at this point, that comes later. Then I muscle out the backstrap and tenderloin on that side as described by elknut. Take any meat from the ribcage and neck that you want. Then roll the elk over on its other side and repeat process on the other side. Here a rope helps. Tie it on the down legs and pull the elk over. With half of it gone already, this should be doable. May need to use gravity to roll him if he is on a slope.

I debone before I load into a pack for transit.

I have the Alaskan freighter frame and it has worked well for me
Old 05-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess I'm diffrent I gut then bone,this way I get the rib meat,heart,liver and kidneys and reach the tenderloins.
I bring 2 knives,stone and saw plus two hatchets,4 game bags,rope and 4 racheting tie downs(you know the ones you can pull and they rachet tight)I use these to hang the game bags in the air or 1/4's.
In my pack I carry everthing to stay the night or two,plus flashlight and space blanket.I hunt with a over sized fanny pack that has shoulder straps plus padded waist belt.
If I'm hunting on horse back I carry a Ax then I gut and split in 1/4's and tie to the pack saddles.
I use a frame pack made by Cabelas called the Alaskan(I think).
I have had no problems yet.
BBJ
Old 05-10-2005, 01:44 PM

I use the method like bareback jack. I dont feel its much work to gut one quickly, and the animal is easier to manhandle w/o the entrails. I only eat the heart & tenderloin though, I'm just not into eating an animals filter. I also see I'm not alone in likeing the Alaskan series of packs.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't see a link already posted so I thought I'd post one that goes through the boning out process.

DISCLAIMER: This link shows graphic photos of an elk being quartered!

As others have already said, bone it out then put the meat in high quality meat sacks and use a good pack frame to get it out.

[link]http://home.att.net/~sajackson/elk.html[/link]
Old 05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Mike I have a great camp stew recipe that I use and you would never know what you were eating.
I figure what dose a elk realy that is that bad to eat,it not like eating pigs kidneys like the ones my grandma used in her kiddney pie.[:'(][:'(]
BBJ
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

BareBack jack
Hay arnt you out in the flat land. I couldnt find any where out there I would have a hard time geting an elk.I allso gut them out there.I just do not gut them in the moutains. over here by helena.When you have to get them out 5 to 10 miles on your back it needs deboned :} Havent met you YET I bet I will this year over there hunting the breaks.Over there the last ones we killed we just cut in half.with 2 people they drag eazy.

I will be coming out there in a few weeks fishing. Do you go snagging?If so I may see you than.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

You need a skinning knife, axe, GPS and a cell phone. Gut him, skin him, quarter him and call an outfitter to come get him. You will save doctor bills and enjoy the hunt more. Depending on the temp and altitude you may not need the cell phone. Outfitters will know where camps are set up and come by to check if you need a critter hauled out. Biggest problem is keeping the darn birds away.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 AM
DM

I also "always" debone bigger animials out, and i don't gut anything bigger than a deer. I don't even gut deer when i hunt the temporate rain forest of Alaska where you have to pack them back to camp.

I never carry or use a saw or ax, everything you need to get done can be easily done with a good knife. Bone them out, put the meat in game bags, and pack the meat out.

Also, these days in many states it's against the law to transport bones across state lines or into or out of Canada.

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: You are on an unguided hunt and

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.