Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Excercise practices?

Old 05-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Excercise practices?

Ok, if this topic gets turned into a 10 plus page debate about how this person has stupid ideas, or that person doesn't know what he is talking about, or the guy in the corner needs to pull his head out... Well, I will just give up on posting in here, lol

Ok, so now for the question, and it would be nice for everyone to be honest in their answers.

What does your excercising consist of during the year to get ready for big game hunting? From the spring, all the way into the cold, dark winter months?

I must say, before my kidney transplant, while in high school, I was pretty poor at keeping myself in shape. I had my kidney transplant April 1st last year, and have been cleared by my doctor, and have been SSSLLLLOOOOWWWWLLLLLYYYY working myself to get into better shape. I was doing real good about a month ago, walking almost every day with a pack of about 20lbs, then the weather turned south again, and I lost a real desire to actually go outside and do anything for a while. Lately I have been doing more crunches and push-ups about every other day, and have been trying to ride my bike when the weather allows. I hope to be back walking again with the pack as soon as I can. I have also spent a few days out, counting sage grouse, which have allowed me to walk a little bit in what I would normally wear hunting.

Soo... what does everyone else do to get in shape. How do you keep your energy levels up, and keep yourself from going crazy during the cold off months?

Now lets just hope this one stays civil
Old 05-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Excercise practices?

ive always been heavy, but in the last few years ive started really knocking that off. been doing circuit training at the weight room lately which is helping a lot. i would do aerobics, but i love heavy lifting, so this is a happy medium. in the summer i jog, play city league softball, and shoot my bow a ton. winter lift wights, since i like it.

guess my only problem is, even with all the weightlifting, im still a wuss!!!

brad
Old 05-07-2005, 11:16 PM

I started playing semi-pro football this year, and I have been whipped into shape and but quick. I practice 3x week plus game on Saturday, lift upper body 2x week, lower body 1x per week, run sprints and agilty drills 2-3x/month. Really enjoy the weight lifting, also purchased an eliptical glider for post work out warm downs, my wife mainly uses that.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:17 PM

been doing circuit training at the weight room lately which is helping a lot.
Hey hnmuley, what kind of program are you on?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just walking.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:42 PM

During the winter months I like to go to the gym and weight train along with cardio. As soon as I can get outside I mix in rollerblading and bike riding along with hiking the foothills around Boise. I spend the summer fishing mountain streams and lakes and taking a trip to hunting camp one to two times a month and hike around just to see what has happened during the winter. I also play baseball once a week from April until archery season starts.

muley- semi pro football will get you in shape in a hurry. Just don't get hurt so you miss time out in the woods.

elkaholicid
Michael
Old 05-07-2005, 11:48 PM

Work requires I maintain a high level of fitness. Cardio everyday for at least 30min, usually jogging outside. Interval training twice a week running hills or alternating sprints between light/power poles with a slow jog on the next 2. Weights 3days a week, although because of a ruptured tendon in my hand I've had to cut the weights out for the last few months. If I really want to kill myself I run up and down 3 floors with 65lbs for 5 sets of 5. Plus lots of push-ups, chin-ups and crunches. Helps too that we are so high above sea level here, makes it easier to transition to the eastern slopes to chase elk come the fall.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

It is kind of funny this is here. We have a lot of posts from guys back east asking about elk hunting in the west. Colorado in my case, so what do I do? Well, I think a lot of guys know I have bad knees here [5 surgeries]. The bike is what the Doc orders and it does help. But I have a home gym and use it for legs and upper body. And a ton of miles at timberline for cardio. I like a lot of guys here have added pounds, 145 to 165. That may not sound like much to a lot of guys, but it makes a difference. A lot of that weight went into my shoulders from pulling a bow string. And the rest is that tire around the middle and that probably isn't going anywhere soon. The winter isn't hard for me to stay in shape, like it is for some guys. Bird hunting behind my 3 German Shorthairs keeps me moving. The thing I can't fix is the age thing, 50 next year. And for you young guys, you are full of it; it will catch you sooner or later. You are talking to a guy that played hockey all my life till 40. I was a rock and ice climber 20 plus years. So I have been in great shape all my life till now! And I am OK shape now, just not like 20 years ago. If you wish to hunt at an older age, stay toned up, you will thank yourself.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

I've been planning this elk hunt this fall for the past 5 years. It so happens that I have a 19 year old son that ran track and played basketball. He is the reason I started working out with the goal in mind of getting in shape for an elk hunt. So in the past 5 years I have done a lot of running. I've completed 3 marathons and continue to run 5-6 days a week. I lift weights, upper body and legs, 3-4 days a week and do numerous push-ups and sittups. I am 45 and probably in the best shape I've been in since high school. I've heard the warnings to get in shape before going on an elk hunt. I plan to be the fittest hunter in camp in Sept. The only thing I can't plan for, is the altitude. We are at a stunning 600 ft. elevation here in corn country. I guess I could climb the tv tower 3-4 days a week! LOL
Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 AM

I am thankful that I have always been active,and relatively free from injury.There is no down side to being fit,yes it takes time but it brings you so much back in return.For us it gives us the ability to hunt harder and more comfortably.I am soon to be 47.I exercise 6 to 7 days a week,usually always early in the morning.I maintain a routine of two days in succession of resistance exercise(combination of weights and bowflex machine)and on the aerobic days I use my mountain bike that is set up in a trainer so I can use it as a stationary bike,I will ride the bike for an hour each time.I used to run quite a bit but it became to punishing for my knees and hips so the bike is a better answer.I do believe that nothing will burn the fat off your body faster than running.
The right balance of strength and endurance can sometimes be confusing.I believe that if you can't get to the area's you want to hunt (leg's and lung's)your ability to drag or pack won't be put to that much use.For me to put on weight and greater muscle mass I have to eat like a pig and do very little aerobic exercise.You have to do the best you can with genetics you were born with.

Quick Reply: Excercise practices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.