Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Excercise practices?

Old 05-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Excercise practices?

muley69,

our local gym got a grant for a circuit training set up a couple years ago. the way its set up, there are machines to work about every part of your body. leg exensions, leg curls, leg press, bench press, incline bench, pec dec, military press, preacher curls, triceps pull down, pull up counter balance, lat pull down, back extension and pullover. that pull up counter balance machine is prety cool, anybody can get to 20 pullups with it. anyway, in the middle of all this is a bunch of steps, and a timer on the wall. it works like this. every 45 seconds the timer goes off. for 45 seconds you jump up and down on a step as fast as ya can, then when the times sounds ya go to the nearest machine. do it for 45 sedonds and back to one of hte steps. it goes in a circle, so in about 25-30 minutes you have worked every major muscle. all of the weight on the machines is quickly changeable, so you make it as tough as you want. its hard as hell if ya push yourself, i sweat twice as much doint that as i do running.

brad
Old 05-08-2005, 09:14 AM

Good subject. When I learned that you have to be in good shape for elk hunting, I decided it was the type of hunting for me.

In addition to other workouts mentioned above, I backpack with weight like Mr Brown. I can get a workout just walking the dog, and it's easier on my 47 year old knees than jogging. 3 miles on workdays and 5 to 7 on days off. Obviously the more hills the better. I use both the streets and the trails behind our house.

I did this last spring/summer to get ready for my sons' 50 mile scout pack trip in August, and kept it up through hunting season. As the oldest guy I was able to stay ahead of the pack most of the time. Lost 15 lbs and its not back.

Two bags of lead shot and some rocks (I'm up to 60 lbs) in a higher-end camelbak with good quality shoulder straps. Fits under or over my jacket.

Mr Brown - this works great on a treadmill if you have access to one. You don't have to stay on that boring machine as long when you have weight on your back.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:56 AM

I think the best way to get in shape is with a solid weight lifting program. You will be amazed at how much easier things become when you start to gain strength. Leg workouts, if done correctly, are not fun and highly effective. Strengthening your back muscles pays huge dividens as well. My workouts are for strength gains, not toning or pulling my shirt off at the beach. I work hard on three phases: total body strength with an emphasis on posterier chain, running sprints/explosiveness and flexability. Don't neglect the flexabilty aspect of training, it's critical. For those of you who want to seriously get into shape and have quick and noticable strenth gains I recommend the following training program: Defrancos' Westside for Skinny Bastards, and no you don't have to be a skinny bastard for this to work. Takes less then an hour 3x week and the results are terrific. Just type defranco weight lifting into your google search engine and go visit his site.[8D]
Old 05-08-2005, 10:11 AM

I alternate days of riding my bike and weight lifting. In the winter I ride indoors.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: muley69

Defrancos' Westside for Skinny Bastards, and no you don't have to be a skinny bastard for this to work.
I wish I were a skinny bastard, but I downloaded this anyway. Makes a lot of sense; I'm going to put it to work. The further we get into this subject the further we get from the subject of hunting, but thanks for the info.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:53 PM

A good idea comin' back from adversity. Of course slow is a whole different matter when your 65, and can't walk fast enough to exercise your heart, cause the bum circulation in your legs causes them to cramp when you walk fast. [] Jest don't git in that bad a shape.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:32 PM

wish I were a skinny bastard, but I downloaded this anyway. Males a lot of sense; I'm going to put it to work.
Let me know how it works for you, any questions PM me, I'm in my 6th week of the program and I love it, I just keep adding weight every session.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

When I had my ACL replaced in 2001, they told me I would be in rehab for 12 weeks. They kicked me out in 5 weeks, told me there was not anything else they could do for me. But I had 2 more surgeries on that knee since then. The Doc told me I should back off. Big question, how do you do that elk hunting? It isn't in my personal profile.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!! Glad to see this generated so many good replies!!

I bookmarked that page, but have yet to read through everything, though it looks like a good program.

The only problem I face about lifting weights is the fact that there is no real gym here where I live. I am stuck to going to the high school when they allow it, which does not work with my schedule very well. So what else do I do? I am going to get some 5, 10, and 15 lb dumbells for doing delt raises, butterflys, and lunges, but I just don't have much room for a full bench or home gym...

Hmm.. what to do?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you own an excercise bike? That does more for me than anything, especially in cold or wet weather, because I can do it in my living room. I bought a basic model from Wal-Mart for less than $100.

My limiting factor has become my knees and my back, and I can't jog anymore because of them. However, hitting the bike really strengthens my knees for the steep country. For my wind, I usually powerwalk with a backpack up and down hills when the weather will permit. I also have a treadmill, but that just gets too boring for me.

Quick Reply: Excercise practices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.