Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

tell me the difference.......

Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tell me the difference.......

nvmike.......

dont guess ive ever hunted anywhere that was legal. man, hauling one out on your back isnt easy, but it isnt impossible either. one thing ive found with it is it is rewarding. maybe you should try it

brad
Old 05-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

manboy - I think you need to know the laws in other states before you go babbling off on how other people hunt!!! There is not sarcasm there, I am speaking seriously.

In Nevada, there are no laws regarding the use of ATV's, except in obvious areas such as Wilderness Areas and WSA's.

As I stated before, I do not use ATV's. I don't use horses either. I would probably use a horse before an ATV if I had the opportunity, and all other things being equal.

HOWEVER - it is legal to use an ATV to retrieve game. I see no problem with it. The problem I see is when people abuse the use of ATV's and just tear stuff up because the are total (words that are not appropriate in this forum).

And yes, that would be good advice for someone to wait until they could get some other form of experience under their belt before embarking on a drop off hunt. He said the experience of quartering and cutting elk, not necessarily doing it in the field.

Grow up and quit trying to start an argument out of every word someone types!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 AM

tell me how someone knows that he went to retrieve game! not to just ride all over the country!

hunting is a privledge!

some people need to be reminded of this once and a while!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted off of horseback many times and, I assure you,
you aren't sitting on your lazy ass. In fact, I challenge anyone to come to West Texas Mt. Lion hunting horseback and tell me that you are sitting on your lazy ass.
No ATV in the history of ATV's will go where a good horse or mule will go in terrain that rough.
4-wheelers are one of the worst things that have happened to hunting.
Everyone thinks they have to have one in order to be successful. It simply isn't true. Everytime Polaris or some other company comes out with a new product it is touted as the latest and greatest thing that every hunter must own. Stop believing the hype. A horse doesnt scare game away and leave ruts all over a land owners pasture.
As the old timer in Jerimiah Johnson said, "Elk don't know how many feet a horse have".
Old 05-10-2005, 01:55 PM

manboy-you use my name like you know me? Makes me wonder. Anyways, you need to take a look at the Jarbidge wilderness sometime before you spout off. The only thing in your neck of the woods I think is similar is the needles area. Near verticle , very rocky terrain nasty.Two years ago I packed 4 elk out to the border on my back and I most of my animals do get packed on my back, but once we're at a location where I can get my scooter to I'm gonna use it.
As to adviseing another guy on going on a do it yourself hunt. the guy didnt even know if you needed a pack to haul an elk out.[8D] he obviously knew NOTHING about elk and was fixing to get in over his head. I told him no offense but try it with some help once or twice to learn (I did NOT say that he had to have YEARS of experience[&:]),then knock yourself out.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I'll admit I haven't read every post in this thread but this subject always gives me a chuckle and I'll tell you why.

My second favorite hobby is ATVing. But I don't even take my ATV on the hunt, or it gets very limited used when I do take it. I have found that getting into elk consistantly takes place at least a mile from the nearest road. People get angry about ATV's spooking elk. They do spook elk. But I don't think relying on a trail nearby being free of ATV's on opening weekend is a good plan, at least if you want to get into elk consistantly. You've got to get away from the roads. So to me ATV's aren't a big issue. I just hate seeing irresponsible riders tear up the mountainside. But I can honestly say I've never had an ATV rider ruin my hunt because I'm too far away from any trails to worry about it.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Ditto what rather_be_huntin posted.I really dont worry about guys who hunt off ATV's because the deer are already wise to them. I've watched groups of deer feed, suddenly look at something I cant see or hear, then lay down to hide. And what do you know....a couple min later here comes that ATV,Pick-up,motorbike,ect... not long after the vehicle goes away the deer come right back out and feed again. Mulies have nerves of steel is all I can say. Around here (and everywhere else I've been for that matter)the elk tend to stay away from the roads as soon as the shooting starts
Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very good point regarding animals being wise to ATV's. Last year I was sitting on this hill watching a couple of draws and a spring. There was a small two track road, but I had seen deer on it the day before so figure what the hay. Then these deer came running down this draw. I could hear nothing and see no reason why the deer spooked like that. Then a couple of minutes later, these two guys on ATV's came right down that draw and got to that little two track before they even saw the deer. Then they stopped and looked for maybe a few seconds and then took off again and went UP the other draw I was watching, which is where I saw the deer the morning before!! I was not sitting out in the middle of the open, but I was not exactly playing hide and seek either. They never even noticed that I was there!! Kinda made me laugh. Good thing there was nothing in that group that I could shoot, but it still torked my cookies a little bit.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: NVMIKE

Ditto what rather_be_huntin posted.I really dont worry about guys who hunt off ATV's because the deer are already wise to them. I've watched groups of deer feed, suddenly look at something I cant see or hear, then lay down to hide. And what do you know....a couple min later here comes that ATV,Pick-up,motorbike,ect... not long after the vehicle goes away the deer come right back out and feed again. Mulies have nerves of steel is all I can say. Around here (and everywhere else I've been for that matter)the elk tend to stay away from the roads as soon as the shooting starts
I agree. Though I want to convey a experience I had. We had been hunting hard for 6 days. My buddy had killed a nice Muley and a nice 5 point bull. I had scored on a 5 point muley but had struck out on elk. We are leaving when I or my buddy (can't remember) saw brown. We're on the road in our truck. We pull over and glass them. We were hoping a bull would be there. It would have been a perfect last minute hail mary stalk. As we are glassing I notice a 4 Wheeler moving up the slope. My buddy saw another. These two einsteins where flanking the elk with 4 wheelers. We watched it unfold. They both rode at the elk from opposite sides. when the elk saw the one on the right they took off to the left. They ran right over the top of the other guy. It sounded like a war for a few moments. As best I could tell nothing was hit by the barrage though. If it wasn't so sad it would have been comical.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

that is truly pathetic.
to me elk hunting isnt about killing elk, its about experiencing elk. a lot of my favorite elk hunts, i didnt evey draw my bow, but i was in the herd for long periods of time. there is just so much to see and hear in the elk woods.

man i wish september would get here
brad

Quick Reply: tell me the difference.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.