Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

tell me the difference.......

Old 05-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tell me the difference.......

i myself have no experience on horses. none whatsoever. however, i may be going on an elk hunt in the candian wilderness this fall, and it will be on horseback. should find out next week if im going. always wanted to try the whole horseback thing......

i have an atv, and i use it in elk camp. i dont hunt off of it, i just drive it to the various hunting spots in the area, its better mileage than my pickup. i only drive it on established roads though. i enjoy elk hunting as high in the wilderness as i can get, while coming out to a camp on the road that borders the wilderness. i have thought about making a spike camp, probably will this year, but i do camp on a road.

have to, the stream right where i camp is the best brookie stream i have ever found, and i like eating brookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brad
Old 05-07-2005, 05:27 PM

i do elk hunt every year, and from my other replies u would see i have havested a 339 5/8 6x6 the last year i held a bull tag! and if i get a bull tag this year well u will see a bull shot! and as far as packing all that weight out, i for one will not pack bones out that i will not use anyway, so cut that wt. down by 57%. oh ya, 57% is correct if u know how to cut meat and u are good at it!

and i hunt elk with huntnmuleys and we also go into wlderness, we just use our on feet! not sit our a$$ on a horse to go into the wilderness! and those of u who think a horse does not tear up the ground, then i say u just don't look where u are going! those horse trails are horrible, the rocks get loose, the tree roots start showing, and soon the forest service puts stakes in the ground to hold the trail togather! next time u are on a horse look over the trail, instead of looking for the easy game to shoot off the horse!

and txhunter= a lot of people don't care for my wisdom, and they don't like that i tell them how it is, get use to it THERE IS NO SUGAR COATING HERE! and i am 30 and have 3 kids, so junior high was a long time ago!

and something positive? listen and u may learn something! or are u to old to learn?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullkllr

Back to the original question...

What original question? All I see is slander to stir the pot for kicks

Manboy: Never too old to learn something. The thing you don't seem to understand is that you may indeed have something to teach. However, you have lost me as a listener. You are just not worth it. Bye Bye.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

and then mention i rode HORSE BACK for 8 miles to the base camp! thats fine but u are no better than i, who rode a atv 3 miles to camp!
and i hunt elk with huntnmuleys and we also go into wlderness, we just use our on feet! not sit our a$$ on a horse to go into the wilderness!
If those are not two hypocritical statements, I don't know what is!!!

And also, I know of very few people that actually shoot an animal from a horse!! You are just too high profile to not get busted before you can. I have stated several times, most people ride the horse to a base camp, or a trailhead, and then hunt from FOOT!!! Get an animal down, and then get the horse to the kill site!!

Also - lets not get going on the weight of meat you can get off an elk. You should easily be able to get close to 200 lbs off a mature bull. If you are BY YOURSELF (as I have stated before), that equals about 4 trips with an 80lb pack when you figure in the weight of the meat, plus the camp gear, plus the rack and hide!! I would love to see you pack that all out in one trip, and still have every piece of meat BY YOURSELF!! It WILL NOT HAPPEN!! Add to that the fact that early season hunting (about the only time you would be able to walk back in that far), and the heat will spoil meat in a heartbeat!! You simply would not be able to get in quick enough UNLESS you had someone with you, then it MIGHT be doable, but would be awful tough for even the most athletic and physically fit person to do!!!

You asked what we felt the differences between horses and ATV's were, then started bashing people who use horses to hunt, then admit you ride an ATV 3 miles to camp. then bash people some more because the sit on their A$$es to get to camp!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

huntnmuleys, nothing like some brook trout cooked over the fire eh? Even tough I understand the costs of of a guide. I too can't afford those costs. I have started to get to know people in various parts parts of the country. One being in Alaska. If you have places to elk hunt and are successful, you have a comodity that others want. I took a guy from Alaska hunting and he killed a nice 6 pt. bull. I now have a hunt ready in AK whenever I am ready. The costs of these hunts can be relatively affordable if you can plan it right. I am doing a swap this year. I am taking someone elk hunting and in return I will get a chance to hunt the corn belt white-tails. The costs incurred are only tags and transportation. With bills and child support this is the only way I can afford to hunt other states on an ongoing basis.

I understand the fact that it takes $ to hunt all over the US. That is the primary reason that I moved from upstate New York to the west coast a long time ago. I wanted to hunt elk every day I could. I have had the fortunate experience of meeting great people along my journey's, and have been able to hunt all over the US by trading hunts. Does this make me lazy, heck no. Here in my own home state I pack supplies into the mountains on foot starting in July. I have a whole camp cached in a hole 5 miles from the trailhead. I have been baiting bears since april 15th and have made 15 2 hour trips to keep the baits active so far. Not to mention the walk and carrying of bait to the bait sites. I have put out close to 1,000 pounds of bait since the start of it all. All of this has been on foot.( I wish at times I had an ATV). I shoot about 5 nights a week on top of this and travel to archery tournaments all over the west coast. If I am not working, I am hunting, scouting or shooting. In the last 5 years I have packed out 18 bulls on foot. Not to mention how many deer and antelope were carried out of a scorching desert. It is too bad that is all wiped out by having someone take me hunting once in a while manboy. I give all this effort away to those who don't have a chance to do it or can't afford it. There is a price to pay for all this though in which I have paid already. I lost my family, my home and everything I own to pursue my passions. Will, I hire a guide when I can afford it again, hell yes, and I will not think of myself as any less of a hunter. I have paid my dues and then some. You got on here spouting off like you are above all. I have never pulled any punches on here but here it goes. Before you start making any comments degrading those who claim that they know what they are doing, you should know a little more about them before you do. For the sake of the companies and magazines that I represent I will not mention any names. However, I do know a little bit about hunting. So watch what you say before spouting off to those who you don't know. There are alot of people on these boards who are very knowledgible and have some great information. With a bad attitude and constant mudslinging, you will never get any further in life or in your hunting endeavors. One can never stop learning, no matter where he or she is at in their hunting careers or in life itself. Go ahead, the thread is yours, I am not wasting any more of my time on your controversial subjects. Good luck this year
Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

And Elkcrazy8 - I hope I am not insulting you. I am sure you do what you say you are doing, but you seem to have a more practical approach to it, not what manboy seems to be implying, though I have yet to be able to quite figure it all out.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:14 PM

I AM NOT BASHING PEOPLE FOR USING A HORSE! I JUST STATE THE FACTS, HORSES DO TEAR UP TRAILS AS ATV'S. HORSES ARE A TOOL FOR HUNTING AS AN ATV.

I JUST GET THE FEELING SOME OF U THINK, BECUASE U ARE ON A HORSE INSTEAD OF AN ATV U ARE SUPERIOR OVER THE ATV USERS! THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME! AND YES WE CAMP AT THE WILDERNESS LINE AND WALK IN NOT USE OUR TOOL ANY FARTHER! FOR THE HUNT!

AND CHARLIE= U DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT MEAT CARE WITH ME! AND SPOILAGE HAPPENS IF U DO NOT COOL THE MEAT DOWN WITHIN 6 HOURS OF THE ORGANS SHUTTING DOWN! THAT IS THE EASY WAY FOR ME TO EXPLAIN IT TO U ALL! I CAN GUARANTEE U IT DOES NOT TAKE ME 6 HOURS TO SKIN AND DE-BONE AN ELK, DOES IT HUNTNMULEYS!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense taken CB, A guy has to be creative these days to hunt the way he wants. It takes money and time. Some have the money and others have the time. Sometimes I wish I had both.

Manboy, I would never down anyone for using either a horse or an ATV. I have done both. And also I would never down anyone for using a guide or going on a DIY hunt. I have done both also. It all boils down to the hunters level of satisfaction, bottom line. I personally never cure the itch. That is why I not only hunt, but I live hunting. Some people find satisfaction in shooting one big pheasant. Others are not satisfied with one deer so they buy and extra tag. I have bought several second elk tags. No one hunter on here is better than another. All of us have different levels of satisfaction. We would not be on this board unless we were all part of the hunting community. It is all of our efforts combined that keep hunting as strong as it is. Congrats on your bull, that is one fine elk.

I just noticed your last post manboy. I kill elk in 70-80 degree weather. Thats when the hunting is the best. Early season. We have lost not an ounce of meet packing the meat out on our feet. I wrap and bag the meat and submerge it in a glacier stream to chill. The meat gets packed out the next morning and iced down in a cooler when we reach town. But hen again, there are no ATV's allowed and the horses would get tangled in all the windfall. If I could get an ATV to the elk, you bet I would.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Manboy. I hope your kids can teach you something. You could sure use some knowledge.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:46 PM

SIMPLE, If you don't like the price a guide charges, don't use him. I don't care for horses on the trails either, and I'm sure they don't care for me. So what! I don't use ATV'S the onle problem I have with them is when there on the closed roads. It's always been my belief, if you don't want to deal with horses and atv's just hunt the brush. And far as guides go they don't much the brush either. That's all I have to say!

Quick Reply: tell me the difference.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.