Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

HB05-1266

Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default HB05-1266

Well the state of Co has done it again! 1266 was a measure to increase resident hunting and fishing licenses prices, many by 100%. Governor Owens signed it on May 4. So get your wallets out in 06, this one is going to cost you big time. I wonder what state will follow next?
Gselkhunter
Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HB05-1266

The life-time hunting and fishing I purchased back in Highschool sure was a good investment. Since my purchase, here in Ks, the license went up around 75% I think. Maybe Colorado offers the Lifetime Permits? I'm not sure.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think our fees just increased here in NV about 2 years ago. It should be about another 2 or 3 and we are in for it again. And no lifetime licenses either[:@] Oh well, we pay to play
Old 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Utah did it in 05. Limited entry elk tags went from $180 to $280 for a resident. Everything else went up also but by different amounts and percentages.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: gselkhunter

Well the state of Co has done it again! 1266 was a measure to increase resident hunting and fishing licenses prices, many by 100%. Governor Owens signed it on May 4. So get your wallets out in 06, this one is going to cost you big time. I wonder what state will follow next?
Gselkhunter

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa They raised resident fees Waaaaa

THE LAST FEE INCREASE WAS IN 1992!

If I recall correctly, under the 2005 increase, deer went from $20 to $30 and Elk went from $30 to $45.

Would you like me to calculate, under a standard rate of inflation, what it probably should have been raised to?

I have had Colorado residents telling me that the sportsmen's groups in Colorado actually FOUGHT to get the Fee Increase but it is funny who accustomed many of the residents have become to having their hunting subsidized by the exploitantion of the non-resident.

If they only raised non-resident deer tags $10 in the last 13 years, non-residents would be jumping for joy.

SA
Old 05-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a problem with the increases. Like Spyro said, the increases are small considering, as a matter of fact, the increases are below or just keep pace with inflation. It's also note worthy that the DOW does not create the fee schedule but five sportmaens' advisory groups that include sportsmen, conservationist, and members of the public! Some of the money is slated to be used for an "educational media campaign" that is not trying to create new hunters, BUT instead to educate the general public about hunting and fishing as a "management tool" and the why it is necassary!
When you look at the cost of other "activities" such as golf, skiing, and such, hunting seems to be quite reasonably priced, IMO!!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

New Mexico also raised all their prices from fish to big game. [:@][:@] Good luck.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

SpyroAndes, HMMMM, you must be one of the guys around that makes a lot money. There are a lot of low income people in CO that won't be able to take their kids hunting and fishing now. But that never did matter to rich folk, they want the woods to themselves anyway. The guy that makes less than 30K a year with 4 teens can now only dream about taking his kids on a sheep hunt at $250 a pop. It is a sad state of life when only the rich and the outfitters get ahead. And I am not saying the DOW didn't need the money, they did, their fuel costs went up too. I too can handle the cost of increases, but what about those that can't. It is their forrest too and they didn't have a say about the DOW paying for their new education program with license money. I think it is time this country went back to doing what is good for all, not just the few that can afford it.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-09-2005, 01:31 PM

SpyroAndes, HMMMM, you must be one of the guys around that makes a lot money. There are a lot of low income people in CO that won't be able to take their kids hunting and fishing now. But that never did matter to rich folk, they want the woods to themselves anyway. The guy that makes less than 30K a year with 4 teens can now only dream about taking his kids on a sheep hunt at $250 a pop. It is a sad state of life when only the rich and the outfitters get ahead. And I am not saying the DOW didn't need the money, they did, their fuel costs went up too. I too can handle the cost of increases, but what about those that can't. It is their forrest too and they didn't have a say about the DOW paying for their new education program with license money. I think it is time this country went back to doing what is good for all, not just the few that can afford it.
Gselkhunter
this is from the Colorado fish and game website:
.................................................. .................................................. ......
Fee Increases effective Jan. 1, 2006

Fishing & Small Game
Resident
Nonresident

Current
Current

Extra Rod Stamp
$4
$5
$4
$5

Fishing - 1 day
$5
$8
$5
$8

Fishing - 5 days
$18
Eliminated
$18
$20

Fishing - annual
$20
$25
$40
$55

Senior Annual Fishing
$10
FREE
Not Available

Small Game Hunting
$15
$20
$40
$55

Small Game - 1 day
$5
$10
$5
$10

Small Game - 5 days
$20
Eliminated
$200
Eliminated

Furbearer
$20
$25
$200
$200

Turkey (Fall)
$10
$15
$75
$100

Turkey (Spring)
$10
$20
$75
$100

Turkey (Youth)
$10
$10
$75
$75

Combination Fishing/Small Game
$30
$40
Not Available

Resident Big Game Licenses**
Current

Deer
$20
$30

Elk
$30
$45

Pronghorn
$20
$30

Bear
$30
$40

Mountain Lion
$30
$40

Moose
$200
$250

Mountain Goat
$150
$250

Rocky Mountain Bighorn
$150
$250

Desert Bighorn Sheep
$200
$250

** Non-resident big game license fees were increased by the legislature in 2001 and are adjusted annually according to the Denver/Boulder Consumer Price Index.

.................................................. .................................................. .....

Don't give me the Poor People will suffer song and dance. That dog don't hunt. Boo Hoo! An Elk tag cost 45 instead of 30. You're not going to get any sympathy from me. And No I'm not rich, I make $30,000 and have 3 kids.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:50 PM

SpyroAndes, HMMMM, you must be one of the guys around that makes a lot money.
No more than most people... Frankly, at an SCI Banquet, I am the poor guy at the table.

There are a lot of low income people in CO that won't be able to take their kids hunting and fishing now. But that never did matter to rich folk, they want the woods to themselves anyway.
If that extra $5 or $10 dollars is the difference between them fishing and not fishing... I think that they shouldn't be fishing, their time would be much better spent in other activities like improving their education/skills and looking for a better job.

The guy that makes less than 30K a year with 4 teens can now only dream about taking his kids on a sheep hunt at $250 a pop.
Not to be a prick but maybe a guy, with a household income of less than $30,000, shouldn't be knocking up his wife 4 times.

They say that the average kid costs $200k to raise to 18 years of age... maybe he should have invested the $0.25 per condom after kid number 2... He made his choice... he chose to spend the $200k on the kid and not other stuff. That is how he spent his entertainment dollar.

So not only do you want the subsidize the poor for every child, you want to subsidize every child's hunting?

Frankly, your argument regarding being able to take his kids sheep hunting is well... pretty poor...

1) the tags were $150 before. Like the difference between $600, for 4 tags apps @$150, and $1000, for 4 tags apps at $250, is the factor. How about getting the $600 to begin with.

2) Should the price of Ferraris be dropped so that he can buy all 4 kids new Ferraris as well?

HINT: When you are poor, you don't get the Ferrari, you get public transportation. The "public transportation" of Colorado's hunting and fishing are easily accessible to the poor.

BTW, maybe not getting everything that everyone else is getting might motivate the children to get an education.

Oh and one last thing, I worked when I was 14 yrs old... FOR STUFF THAT I WANTED... my folks provided food, clothes, a place to sleep and love. However, I was resonsible for my license and shells.

It is a sad state of life when only the rich and the outfitters get ahead.
And honestly, when has anything ever been priced to the lowest common denominator...

What is a sad state of affairs is when people believe that the poor are entitled to everything that others are entitled to...

Heck, lets subsidize them having winter homes in Aspen as well... I mean if a guy w/ four kids, that makes under 30K, wants to take his kids to Aspen.... He can't do it...

And I am not saying the DOW didn't need the money, they did, their fuel costs went up too. I too can handle the cost of increases, but what about those that can't. It is their forrest too and they didn't have a say about the DOW paying for their new education program with license money.
Funny... you weren't singing the "it is their forest too" when it came to non-residents receiving equal opertunity.

To be 100% honest, the have access to the forrest and they did have a say... Colorado Sportsmen pushed the fee increases.

I think it is time this country went back to doing what is good for all, not just the few that can afford it.
Btw. this country has never been about "doing what is good for all".... You must have us mistaken with Sweden or something...

As for affording it... boo hoo... We offer subsidies in many forms... welfare... food stamps... unemployment.. and etc...

Sorry, there is no hunting welfare...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.