Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Cost of Hunting

Old 05-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Default The Cost of Hunting

I was recently trying to plan our annual July 4 prairie dog hunt. A few friends and myself go about every year to shoot our own fireworks, have some fun, and watch the dogs go POOF. It was a low cost enjoyable time. I say was because the rancher that used to thank us for trying to thin the vermon from his place decided this year to start charging.

Its horrible. Its terrible. And its inevitable. Everything costs money anymore. Its just plain crazy. I can't blame ranchers. They're out there working long, hard hours for little pay. They see everybody else charging folks money to hunt on their property. So they do it too. Its just too bad. The good ole days are gone I guess.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Cost of Hunting

That's too bad, your doing him the favor of reducing the varmint population not the other way around. I'd tell him to have fun shooting his own crop eating critters.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:19 PM

I hear ya. It's getting to the point where landowners won't let you track down a wounded deer without paying him first. Personaly I'm sick of all the money people are making out of hunting. Your average Joe who wants to put some meat in his freezer is being priced out of the market by middle aged farts who are trying to recapture their youth at any cost.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:01 PM
DM

On the other side of the coin, do you have any idea what land taxes are these days?????? How about insurance??????????????

I'm NOT takeing sides here, but there's always TWO sides to EVERY coin!!!

Drilling Man
Old 05-03-2005, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

On the other side of the coin, do you have any idea what land taxes are these days?????? How about insurance??????????????

I'm NOT takeing sides here, but there's always TWO sides to EVERY coin!!!

Drilling Man
Actually I do. And my property taxes haven't change in the last ten years. So thats not the reason why this is happening. I said that I don't blame the owner of the land, I just think that its unfortunate.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
DM

Then your lucky, as "both" my land taxes AND insurance has went up quit a bit in the last 10 years!!!

Even if they haven't went up, someone STILL has to pay them "what ever" they are!!!

Drilling Man
Old 05-03-2005, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

Then your lucky, as "both" my land taxes AND insurance has went up quit a bit in the last 10 years!!!

Even if they haven't went up, someone STILL has to pay them "what ever" they are!!!

Drilling Man
Granted, but you can not sit here and tell me that is the driving force behind this. That dog don't hunt. The reason is plain and simple supply and demand. People are willing to pay money to hunt on his land so he is going to make as much as he can. Its the basic capitalistic principle. I do not blame him one bit. If I where in his shoes I would do the same. But, I don't have to like it. The problem isn't the farmer, the problem is the city slickers who are willing to fork over stupid amounts of money to do something that should be free. Now, I've said all I have to say on the matter.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although many people charge to hunt on their land, this particular situation sounds ridiculous as long as 1) you guys have been doing this at the same place every year 2) you have remained respectful of his land 3) the rancher hasn't had some marked change in his economic situation that would equal desperation. I would assume that if this was an annual event that you would have developed a rapport with the landowner where the mutual benefits would be seen. I find another "town" unless the price was negligible and the landowner could point out a "legitimate" reason for the charge other than "because he could" or "because others would pay"...jeez
Old 05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That what it is hillbilly,he found someone else that would pay,thats probaly more of the reason than not,I'm shure someone came to him with a dollar amout to just hunt dogs,and BOOM there you go now he charges.

Where do you think tresspass charges came from,some one wanted to hunt,or cross their land and offered them some dough,and BAM a whole new market has been born.

Thats to bad Shilo,yes the good ole days of driving up to farmer Joe and asking to go hunt are gone,there are still a few but they get so over run with hunters that they would rather put up a No Tresspasing sign than to talk.
BBJ
Old 05-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

In many states including mine, the taxs on the land every year is more than many of the land owners paid for the ranch when thet bought it. 10000-15000 dollars for taxes on a good size ranch is ot uncommon.

That said it is the fact that people will pay quite a bit of money for a hunting lease that is adding to the cost as well. For many hunters in today's economy, cost is no object and I don't see things getting better any time soon. Doctors and lawyers and well to do folks mostly from the east are buying up hunting leases all over the west.

Quick Reply: The Cost of Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.