Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another big game hunting contest?

Old 05-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another big game hunting contest?

Well, I haven't seen anything yet, so I thought would ask what everyone's thought was for another big game hunting contest this year. We went by meat weight last year. I was thinking maybe something a little different, since most hunts out west are by draw only, that when you know you have the tag, you sign up. I think the earliest hunts are sometime in August, so we could make a sign up deadline the first of August. Maybe one division for most meat for antlerless (horns shorter than ears, or female, cow, doe, whatever), and one division for antlered, male, ram, bull, buck, whatever. The antlerless would be by weight of meat, and the antlered by B&C score. Maybe only 4 or 5 person teams? What to you think. And if a mod could pin this one for a while until we get some feedback, so it doesn't get lost in the .270 shuffle?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Another big game hunting contest?

i think it is a great idea charlie, i think maybe there should be a minor catagory? just a thought! and antler less needs to be just that, not smaller than its ears. and meat wt is that a total of just one animal each or as many as u shoot? i do like this idea! lets keep it at the top!

die 270 thread die, die,die, die! [:@]
Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, maybe a category for kids (take it thats what you mean by minor), and smaller than the ears was meaning for sheep and antelope, because both sexes have horns. Thats what the regs state here, horns shorter than ears, but it is basically a doe antelope. We would of course have to allow all states regulations where that person was hunting.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:47 PM

on yhe horns shorter than ears, MY BAD I DIDN'T READ! i thought u said antlers! and yes i was talking about kids. what about the meat wt. because are (wy.) whitetail doe will only weight about 75 lbs. compared to wis. deer of 175lbs. what do u think?

270's i like them, i just don't own one!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good to me!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what the teams are for. To hopefully balance the teams from one state to another in the case where there might be the possibility of more weight of processed meat from another part of the country. Elk, mule deer and antelope would be no big deal, cause they all weigh pretty close to the same across the board.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think its a good idea. how long would the contest run? and how would the teams be chosen?would wild hog and boar count in it? just wondering because all i usually hunt is kentucky deer and florida hogs.