Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Spring Bear Hunting

Old 04-17-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Montana Spring Bear Hunting

Anybody been out yet? To me spring bear is a time to fire up the camper and get my butt back up the mountain. Anybody seen any sign or bears yet?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Montana Spring Bear Hunting

Muley
There in our garbage already. There pretty small in our area though. I'll look you up in a few weeks when I get done here in Billings.
Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have talked to a few guys up around Agusta and they say they are moving already also,I'm head'in out Sunday to go in the Belts.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Muley
There in our garbage already. There pretty small in our area though. I'll look you up in a few weeks when I get done here in Billings.
Bob
Sounds good, looking foward to it.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Well, I got up in the mountains yesterday and saw absolutely no bear sign anywhere. No tracks, scat, torn up logs, nothing. It was 75 yesterday and now we are getting some pretty good snow, not sticking down low here. I have very little time to hunt Bear this spring, so I hope the next trip is more eventful, anybody else having any luck?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

No luck yet. I have been out twice. I will be cleaning my reloading room & reloading for my 22-250 today. I will get out tomorrow & look for a bear. The third time is the charm.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I went out opening day and camped out for a few days.I have been out a few more times since and called one small bear in about 100lbs. and a coyote.I seen some old tracks nothing fresh.I think a few bears are moving and some got up earlier and went back to bed.I seen fresh tracks around feb.I called fwp and last week they only had 6 and I just got off the phone today and the lady said the have gotten 8 in so far.I think it will get better pretty soon.The bear I called in was down low below the snow line.
Elkshed
Old 04-27-2005, 11:05 PM

I was up high, working the snow line, looking for sign and pounding those south facing slopes. There was some greenup but not a lot. I still can't get to my favorite ares because of the snow pack, I swear Bear season opens to early in the spring, half the roads to get to my areas are locked until Jun 1.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Went out bear hunting thursday the 28th.I had to go through about 6 inches of mud and parked.I hiked about 6 miles up to the snow line and glassed the south slopes and did some calling.Just seen some deer down lower.I don't think anything is awake up high.I dropped down low as I could get and seen a lot of lush green grass and 3-4 day old bear tracks.about a 75lb'er and a 250-300 lb'er.I'm thinking sow and cubs.So i would imagine that the bear are following the greenup.I know where I'm going tomarrow.
Elkshed
Old 04-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Going out tomarrow,but it looks like the snow is pretty low down in the Little belts.I will be hunting lower around the clear cuts and open meadows and glass.
I wish they would extend the season to the end of June,some years the snow has not even melted in the high country,were more of the bigger boars come out.

Quick Reply: Montana Spring Bear Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.