Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

colorado scouting service

Old 04-17-2005, 03:09 PM

Default colorado scouting service

I am considering offering a scouting service to hunters that plan to hunt in Colorado but are unable to scout themselves.
It is my plan to hire off season guides to assist in the scouting reports.
I am thinking 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile area per report or a drainage or ridge ( to be deturmined)
The information I would make available would be;
topo maps
arial photos
game stats
success rates
suggestions from DOW agent
plus ?

A scouting report after a location visit consisting;
ansewers to questions asked of client
vegitation status
game sightings ( with gps )
rubs,scrapes, scat ect.
active water holes
food sources
a 8mm video tape
I understand this is not for all but may be helpful to some.
What do you think?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Default RE: colorado scouting service

Heres my honest take. First I can get all the topo maps, success ratios etc you describe in the first part by clicking on the website for free. Secondly, I don't know how valuable your field scouting report is because animals are pretty dynamic, as is vegitation etc. Elk can be there one day, and miles away the next. Personally, I wouldn't pay for the information you are providing. Having said all that, it is an intresting concept, and perhaps it would appeal to DIYer out-of-staters. However, if your hiring off season guides, your report would have to be fairly old be the time season rolls around. Also, states regulate outfitting pretty closely, and you may be crossing the line, or maybe not I don't know. Finally, how much clientel can you possible get for one area? Would it even be worth you time? Expanded you area would be difficult and probably beyond your logistical capabilities. Again, it is an intresting idea, and an outfitter could probably give you a better idea of the logistics and clientel.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:28 PM

Hey thats my idea, i will be doing the same things but will not hire other people to scout for me.I will also keep people posted by e-mail and scout closer to season since things change often.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 PM

While you are at it, why not just tranquilize some, tie them to a tree, and put a big 'X' on the spot. Of course, some people would still get lost, better drive them to the tree yourself!!

I swear to God, hunting has degenerated to this, what a joke
Old 04-17-2005, 08:34 PM

ok so this may not be a good idea.
I would like to come up with something that would allow me to work in the outdoors without employees
If you are in biz you know what I mean.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:35 PM

not trying to get into it with anyone just trying to help a little for the people that want it.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know. My take on the whole thing is that you are taking away from part of the hunting experiance.
I enjoy the scouting, research and such. I guess for some it might prove helpfull. For those who don't have access and time or want to just avoid that part of the experiance.
My opinion anyway
Old 04-17-2005, 09:42 PM

ok so this may not be a good idea.
I would like to come up with something that would allow me to work in the outdoors without employees
If you are in biz you know what I mean.
I hear ya. I think we would all like to make a living like that! Man, I got a degree in Resource Conservation from the U of Montana and I'm a contractor. Very few people in this world get to do what they love for a living. Frankly, I just wasn't willing to make 10 bucks an hour working from 9-5 so I started my own gig, but even that gets old after awhile. Maybe you could work at a sporting goods store or something? Just keep those wheels in your head turning and you'll get something figured out.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM

don't know. My take on the whole thing is that you are taking away from part of the hunting experiance.
I enjoy the scouting, research and such. I guess for some it might prove helpfull. For those who don't have access and time or want to just avoid that part of the experiance.
My opinion anyway
Well it's not to different from a guided hunt, at least the clients are doing their own hunting. How ya been anyway Montana Bob? You headin up to Alaska soon?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:59 PM

If the hunters had a bit more knowlege about the area they plan to hunt they maybe would not stumble around the woods as much and screw up the hunting for others.

Quick Reply: colorado scouting service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.