Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

Old 04-23-2005, 08:32 PM

Default RE: A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

ok i got a question? but first i would not shoot the animal. ok now the question you are on your way hunting in the morning or whenever you aredriving down the road and see someone clobber a deer with there care do you take and tag the animal even though it was not takin legally or do you leave it like so many poeple do and not call anyone to come take it lke some states do?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

That happened to me once. I saw a car hit a deer. I also saw a wounded deer run up to the road then expired. Shot by an unknown hunter. Both times I contacted the local Game Warden and he picked them up. They have them proccessed and give the meat to the poor and elderly. That is if they find them in time. I would not tag them myself nor are we required to do so.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 AM
DM

Both times I contacted the local Game Warden and he picked them up. They have them proccessed and give the meat to the poor and elderly.
There are so many dead deer on the road system here, these days ANYONE can load one up go to a police station, and they will give you a permit to keep it. No need to tag it!!

If you want to tag it, no one cares, and that happens quite often here also.

In the next "county" over from the one i live in, OVER 3,000 deer/car collisions happen EVERY year!!! That's in THAT county alone!!

Majority of the deer end up drug into the ditch and birds ect.. eat what they want. I bet you none of them go to the elderly, (unless they pick them up) and for damn sure the state "doesn't" pay to process any!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats the truth about dead deer on the roadway. A while back I counted 50 dead deer in the ditches on a 230 mile strecth of I-29 in SD and ND. However the ones I was talking about were in my home town area where everone knows everyone and the local Warden takes in on himself to serve the people who pay his wages and sees to it that any game animal that can be utilized is taken care of. Some locals have programs with the local meat plants to do so.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:38 AM

i wish it was that easy in new brunswick canada . we cant even pick up road kill for bait let alone for human cunsumption we would still be charged for ileagal meat the same as poaching .game wardens pick all big game and dispose at a undisclosed sight . stumbled across one of these sites once over 50 deer moose + a few bear just rotting. they use to give them to the zoo but a few outraged groups screamed foul.
something about broken glass antifrezz the such and the animals eating it .... it onley takes a few .....
Old 04-24-2005, 11:40 AM

that happend to a friend of mine here he saw a deer get hit and he did that he called the warden and the warden didn't take the deer he came out a fininshed it off and told my friend he will go to jail if he takes it then a couple weeks later the carcass was still lying on the side of the road oregon has some messed up laws about stuff like that .made us all mad why let an animal go to waste if someone is willing to take it and tag it?