Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

Old 04-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

James you know your right, forgive me I had a lapse.

I agree 100% to the wounded animal and really don't know any hunter who does not, it may be illegal by the letter of the law but it is the most ethical decision. Some laws in my opinion do not make real practical sense, here is an incident that still boils my blood to this day! During a rifle elk hunt one of our group members gets a shot at bull, after waiting he checks the shot site and sure enough finds blood. So being it looks good he starts on the track, while on the trail in the bush line he hears a animal bust off, figuring it was his bull he did what most hunters would do and backed off. Being it was in the evening and legal was very near he decided to mark the trail let the animal set up and go get help. As usual we are all spread out and coming in varying times, so the decision was made to wait for the entire crew and then we'd all head out to get the elk. By the time we get the trucks to the area it is flashlight time and we are able to pick up the trail and ulitmately found the elk. By the time we high fived, took a picture, tagged, gutted and the drag out it was 9:00pm. When we reached the truck 2 of our finest CO's were waiting and once they saw the elk they started on us. We explained the scenerio and they said legal is 1/2 after sunset that includes to chase and pursue game..being the animal was not tagged before legal we infact were in violation. Now let me regress for minute we never indicated that the animals wasn't tagged but merely the hunter had come back to camp to get help and we all came seeing it was his first bull (also nobody was carrying a firearm nor was their even one in the trucks)...all true. I asked what would they suggest we do, you have an animal that will spoil if left and wouldn't that be in fact considered wasting game?(now this is sept and at that it was unusally warm so the animal would have not made the 12 hours till the legal the next morning with at least some spoilage) He said stated the law and said the only other option is to call to request our presence to retrieve game after legal hunting hours of which we can refuse at our descretion! I am sorry sir but this makes no sense, seeing a number of animals are shot in the fading minutes of legal hunting time and in the case of an elk or moose it ain't a 2 minute job to gut/drag/load..this is just setting an otherwise honest/ethical hunter up for a fall. He said that is the law it is your responsibility to know it/abide by it and accept it. My job is simply to enforce it! Now we all know their is a thing called descretion when dealing with law enforcement and as such the one fella saw we were totally legit guys and offered a verbal warning. Meanwhile captain fantastic still wanted to write it up. In the end we did not recieve any fine or loss of priv just a verbal warning and suggestion to call the CO office if it happens in the future again. We're we wrong, I guess by the letter of the law but I still think we were made the way more ethical choice and have every right to retrieve a legally harvested animal, regardless if it is after the 1/2 post sunset. We knew enough to not take a gun so I think we understand the laws but in some case the grey should shift to more black/white when common sense is used and in play.

So what would have you done?

Are we poachers b/c we cared enough to reduce spoilage of legally harvested animal? I tend to think not b/c my ethics/moral is not to waste nor see an animal suffer plain n simple, it is a privelage not a right to hunt and I believe owe to all involved to ensure the animals are respected.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

You did just what I would have done and have done. I have been in on hauling out legally taken game long after shooting hours. To be honest I don't know what our laws are concerning that. It would certainly be better all around if common sense could prevail in every case. We all know that that is not going to happen. I think in most cases , whats ehtical is just as important once a game animal is wounded.

Stubble jumper. I quess I miss spoke when I made the statement about unloading the gun. If I were in country where it would be foolish to unload the gun, I wouldn't do it either. I quess I should have said that I take myself out of the game as far as taking in more birds or deer or whatever. Its never illigal where I hunt to carry a loaded gun. Except in a vehicle.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 PM

Here is Manitoba, as long as one member of your party still has a tag (and you've all signed it), you can continue hunting.

Of course I wouldn't pull the trigger. If you can't take it, then don't ask someone else to for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is illegal or against your ethics they are the one who must pay for the actions be it getting caught and punished or feeling of guilt and remorse!
Unfortunately, we as hunters suffer the bad reputation for the foolish acts of those who are too irresponsible to obey the law. Too many times a poacher is called a hunter when in fact what they are is a criminal.

Spyro,
If the shoe fits wear it. By your own stance and statements on the issue, you show your guilt. Don't jump down my throat for calling it as I see it. You're the one who let everyone know where you stood when you attacked my stance.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hichick I agree but don't we get labelled just b/c we hunt any way! While I would agree seperating our image to those who don't partake is very important the fact remains in the uneducated opinion of those who align the two as one not really anything can be done but say my peace and continue you on that will increase my/our position in their eyes. I certainly don't think calling a fellow hunter a poacher or unethical on a public forum is the best option to public image either. So basically your damned if you do and damned if you don't, not the type of situation I like to be in but unfortunatlely it is reality to what we face. Well at least from my perspective, I feel less embarked to have to justify why I hunt and take a rode that is to try to educate by way of reasons, facts, opinions, so forth but just do so with some tact..it maybe viewed as a candy a$$ stance but it is easy to preach on a keyboard but really how much is sinking in, how much is positive and at the end where does it get us! Divide and conquer is not the solution, it will never work with regards to pro hunting vs anti movements. Ethics can not be forced they must be learned and instilled...just like opinions they can vary and no matter if you talk till your blue in the face your impact is limited. Say your peace and hope it in some way makes the indiviual(s) think, even for a minute. In the end measurement is within oneself, is all I was saying and not against others.

I think the original question was one that is very realistic and one problem has or will face in their career. Just b/c spyo posed it does not mean he does it and frankly I see nothing wrong with it as stated in the first post. However the reason most are so hot is b/c he got his back up and maybe said things that would lead you to believe he does not hold to the same ethics code..therefore probably guilty. Hum just like the CO's stance I referenced in my last post...do we see a problem here guilty until proven innocent. I do not know his intend nor will speculate to what it may or may not have been. The fact a few people got on the defense has now caused a ping match..but such is life in debate.

I also don't agree it is ok to shoot it for meat and not b/c of antlers! We all have vastly different perspectives in this regard and to offer a plea to one or other just doesn't jive with me. I happen to consider my self a Trophy hunter when it comes to deer but I am one who equally loves the venison. To me ethics should be of the same line regardless of what your priority is, anything else is being a hypocrite or creating a false double standard.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

So what would have you done?

Are we poachers b/c we cared enough to reduce spoilage of legally harvested animal? I tend to think not b/c my ethics/moral is not to waste nor see an animal suffer plain n simple, it is a privelage not a right to hunt and I believe owe to all involved to ensure the animals are respected
You did exactly as I have done on more than one occaision.You are absolutely correct in wanting to end the animals suffering and not waste the meat and have the animal die for nothing.Most of the CO's that I have dealt with have been very reasonable and understanding in this type of situation although I have met one much like the superhero that you encountered.He was dealt with by some locals that he had a previous run in with and transfered out of the district in short order.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SpyroAndes

I won't say what I did but I could make a very good case for either position.
I have a hard time believing that a case could be made that proposes shooting the animal (by the tagged out hunter, in a trophy harvest scenario, as described) as the right thing to do. I would like to hear if anyone really believes that could be the case in this hypothetical situation. thanks
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 PM

in the sit. you gave there in no way i would shoot

however in my younger days it was quite common if two guys"say joe and moe" where out hunting and joe had a doe+buck tag and moe only had a doe tag. then moe shoots a doe, joe was most likely going to tag it so they both could keep hunting. yes it was illegal, but a tag was still filled and the meat was still eaten. and 99% of the time moe was going to tell people he shot the doe. i never looked down on doing this however i don't do it anymore. and i would never get on someone who dose.

but with the situation you gave you let the girl shoot or you let the animal go.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Hikchick

By your own stance and statements on the issue, you show your guilt.

Don't jump down my throat for calling it as I see it.

You're the one who let everyone know where you stood when you attacked my stance.
Are you on meds or just insane?

Just because I ask questions or question your stance doesn't mean I am guilty of anything or jumping down your throat.

I asked questions because the standard "it is illegal so no" answer is boring and, frankly, because EVERYONE has willingly broken some rule or some law at one time or another...

What I will jump down your throat for is your "holier than tho" attitude.

You aren't as moral or ethical as you think... your behavior in this thread has shown it.

Just for the record little Miss Know-It-All...

If you haven't noticed it in this thread yet,... I get frustrated with people rather easily, especially people that think they are smart but aren't and/or whiners, and I got rather frustrated with her. I tried talking her into pulling the trigger for 5 minutes. I got so frustrated that I picked up a golf ball sized rock and threw it down the mt at the buck. Then I just started going back up the mountain.

So frankly, you were dead wrong in every aspect... the horror.

Maybe watching Oprah and Dr. Phil didn't make you as smart as you believe you are...

I'd almost be willing to bet that the number of months that you have spent knocked up is greater than the number of college units that you have completed... so leave the psycological analysis to the professionals.

SA
Old 04-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killer243

. then moe shoots a doe, joe or you let the animal go.
I don't know if it was moe or joe that shot the doe instead of letting her go

Quick Reply: A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.