Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

Old 04-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Default RE: A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

Well put hikchick! He asks becuase he has probably done it, all in the name of the biggest buck! It has to do with ego's and macho! Not laws and morals!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:22 PM
DM

Hunting in Alaska in quite expensive, and in the old days we depended on getting a years supply of meat every fall!!!

I mostly hunted with one other hunter, and usually they were guys that had very little hunting experience. I like venison and caribou best, and depending on the area, we were allowed 4 or 5 deer each.

As i said, hunting in Alaska is quite expensive, and you pay the same price for flying out 1 deer or 10 deer, so if possible i always made sure we came out with all our tags full!! SO, yes i did fill tags for others. We hunted for meat, not for antlers!

These days we don't need that much meat, and i can harvest all the deer i want, i can get as many tags as i want!! But, i never harvest more than a couple deer for my own use, and the only way i'd shoot one for anyone else would be to use one of my tags to harvest a deer for a person that i KNOW needs it!!! I have harvested game for elderly around here that no longer can get out to hunt, and is liveing on a small SSI check..

Now, to give your question a (in)direct answer, it depends on who it was for, and how bad they needed the meat.

Ones thing "is" for sure, i wouldn't do it to get the antlers!!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This happend in our camp about 15-years ago. How is this for a grey area?
5-people are hunting out of our camp. Nobody has a hunting partner with them. Nine elk are killed in a hunting accident?[]
All nine elk are packed out the next morning with nine valid elk tags attached. We had other friends camped a few miles away. They all wanted elk, they all got elk.

I am getting too old to hunt that way. I play by the book.
To answer your question. I would let the deer live & walk away.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 PM

I'd dump the girl and take the deer home.

But seriously, I'd pass on the shot. Let her waste a tag. At least you'll have a good story to tell that involves the deer getting away and you not the one who screwed it up.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:17 PM

Its Illegal. But..... I wouldnt jump on your moral high horses just because you would pass while others would not. Most people will fib on their taxes or take advantage of tax loop-holes which are legal, but NOT what were intended. I would also bet that 99% of us have sped, when you speed you DRASTICALLY increase the likelyhood that an accident will be fatal, thats alot more serious than killing a deer in my book. But most people dont think it out and wouldnt agree, they would say speeding is no big thing. I do speed by the way. Do you ever leave work 2-3min early? that is stealing from your employer, how about 5 extra min at lunch? Haveing your friend clock you in because your going to be 2-3 min late? Very few of us obey ALL laws ALL the time. In that situation I would pass, but w/ a few minor changes I would shoot it . I know a guy who was hunting and shot a deer as it came over the hill towards him. when he got to it he saw it was already hit low in the hind quarters. He's gutting it out when a man and his kid come over the hill following the deers trail. Turns out the kid shot the deer and would like to tag it. Do you let him have it? The law says the bullet that dropped it or the last bullet that hits it is the rightful owner of the animal. So letting him have it would be illegal. Lets go further, the guy actually knew the father and son. The father explained that the deer was legally the other guys and the kid starts getting teary eyed and agrees. The guy gave that deer to the kid. It was illegal as hell. But you know what else the kid had cancer and was going to the childrens hospital in Salt Lake the next morning to start treatment. The deer was a 160's mulie and I sure dont blame the guy for breaking the law, as a matter of fact I respect the hell out of him for it. Another iffy situation, your with your kid and he gut shoots an animal, he has a tag, you dont, the animal is going over a hill and is already out of you kids range, but not yous. Do you take the rifle and try to put the animal down and not risk looseing an animal that is going to die anyway? You might find it , you might not. if you drop it your sure to find it. What do you do? Pretty grey to me.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

i biffed it in a situation like this a couple years back. me and a buddy were hunting, last night of season. i had filled, he hadnt. i had one more doe tag, here our doe season lasts a couple more weeks. anyway, right at dark (still legal there) we come upon a small buck, 2 by 3. my buddy could not see it, but wanted the meat. the doe tags were gone when he went to get one. even though wer were only 20 yards apart, he could not see the deer, and told me to shoot...... and i did. not at all a trophy, just putting meat in the freezer. did i do the right thing? no, probably not, but thats what i did. also, when i was much younger, my mother would get her tag and have me or my brother shoot it. she would always be standing there, but we pulled the trigger. again, not right, but thats what we did. i dont do that anymore, but really, it is one dead deer for one tag. none of the animals were ever trophies, just younger ones for the meat. but to answer this post, yes, i have made this mistake in the past.
we live and learn
brad
Old 04-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

My wife kills her elk or deer every year.I have never killed any of her animals.My wife even killed her deer 5 days befor my son was born drug it 400 yards and loaded it in the van

Now that said do what you think is right. I know I have broak the law just as most EVERY person in the world.Every one has broke some kind of laws they just seem to forget the laws that do not meen much to them.

I know I have given fish away at the river than allso taken my limit home the same day.There is a lot of rules like this that most people over look.

I do beleave In the right instance I would kill for someone else.

No matter what law you break every one should know if you get cought YOU will pay the price.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:44 PM

The subject is NOT gray! If the "rookie" couldn't handle it, then the buck (or whatever) should be allowed to go his way - his lucky day! Taking game for another is not only illegal, it's damn unethical too![:@]

SpyroAndes:
I assume that whenever either of you has filled a limit of quail/dove/pheasant/ducks/geese or etc... that you immeadiately unload your firearms and, called it a day, just watched the rest of the group.
Damned right! Limit for the day is done - I'm done!

stubblejumper: .....both of you stalked the animal and it makes no real difference who killed the deer .....
Wrong! Makes a BIG difference who kills the deer. It's called HUNTING. It's not just target shooting! [:@]
Old 04-14-2005, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: RandyA
To compare a $45 speeding ticket to poaching a trophy animal isn't quite apples to apples.
And by the way, in 45 years I have never had a violation related to a vehicle.
Agreed.
Doggone it - I must have missed ya' in my old LEO days in WY.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wrong! Makes a BIG difference who kills the deer
According to the law yes.To the deer no.

It's called HUNTING. It's not just target shooting
What defines hunting?I have guided people to an area containing game,spotted the game for them,led them on the stalk and got them into shooting position.They then pulled the trigger.Who really did the hunting in this instance?Who did the target shooting?

Quick Reply: A couple of hypothetical questions... What would you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.