Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Anyone else have this horrible cold?

Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Anyone else have this horrible cold?

I have had this horrible cold for the last 7-9 days... Slight Fever... Sore Throat... Bad Dry Cough...

I went to the Dr a few days ago and he gives me an antibiotic and this coughsyrup that would make a junkie happy. First, it is classfied as a narcotic because of the high % of codine in the solution and right on the label it has typed "Measure Dosage Precisely" because of the possibility of overdosing. Then you read more of the labels and warning galore regarding addiction and etc. Finally, printed right on the label "DO NOT DRIVE".

So I took this stuff for a couple of days and I am feeling great. No cough... Heck, I can't even feel the back of my throat. I am thinking that I am doing great.

So on early Sun morning, with a big thermos with me, I drive the hour to my first calling stand. I get there well before sunrise, park the truck, unload the quad and head up the trail about 1/2 mile to my first stand.

The first stand is up above this vinyard where three funnels to the vinyard meet. It has always been a good spot.

I get the electronic caller set out about 25 yards @ 8 o'clock and select "Howls" from my MP3 players menu. Then hit 'PLAY'.

Before the second howl even fires, I have 3 coyotes howlin back with one being probably 300 yards at 10 o'clock from me.

I select "Challenge Barks" on the MP3 player and fire it off... The one barks back immediately and has probably closed to 150 yards at 11 o'clock. I pick up 2 other dogs, @ 350 yards, coming in pretty hard from 9 o'clock.

I switch to a "dead" cottontail track, the place is LOADED with them, it is like a cottontail that knows he is dead and is doing low energy distress calls.

The tight coyote starts coming in slowly, angling towards the wind but still out of my scent funnel because I am on the other side of the caller.

The other two coyotes see the first coyote and are coming in on a full run.

I have the caller off...

My rifle, a camo painted Remington LS in 221 Fireball w/ a Leupold 1.75-6x, has been on my shoulder cradled by the Diebold Bipod since the stand began.

I start lip sqeeking to finish these coyotes... I want to shoot the close do at about 20 yards and then take a shot at one of the other coyotes at around 100 yards... that was all it took, they have abandoned any thought of catching the wind and close on the caller and the rabbit pelt w/ rabbit urine.

I let out a loud mouth bark to stop the coyotes and I am just over come with the worst coughing attack.

By the time I am done coughing... there isn't a coyote around.

Anyway, I set up 1 more stand and ended up shooting a coyote at around 32 yards.

I decided, in a moment of clear judgement, that I should call it a day and just head home since I have trips to Alsaka & BC in less than 2 weeks. Believe me, it was a tough call because the coyotes were working and the wind was perfect.

When I got home, it was hello magic cough syrup and hunting DVD time.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Anyone else have this horrible cold?

sounds crappy. hope you get over it soon.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had one of those darn things for about six weeks. I got over it for about a week and came down with it again. Warm Weather and sunshine is the only thing thats going to beat this one.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Spyro,

Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Antibiotics for a cold virus? (or any virus) are useless- maybe you need a new dr?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Spyro,
Doctors can only relieve a virus not cure it.If they could cure a virus,pepole would'nt
be dieing of AIDS. Viruses cause infection and Antibiotics kill bacteria,that's why your
doctor wants you to take them. Coughsyrup is to relieve the raw areas in your throat
that's all. What helps me when I have a bad cold is Antibiotics and GatorAid.GatorAid
has 7 different kinds of Salts and controls electrolyetes in your body to keep you from
dehydration. It really helps me.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Knightia

Antibiotics for a cold virus? (or any virus) are useless- maybe you need a new dr?
He gave me the antibiotics because my throat was red and inflamed that he thought that it might be strep throat despite the lack of pustules.

Whatever it is cold or ?... It sure is an asskicker...

Alaska is 7 days out and this thing is still around... Fun!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alaska is 7 days out and this thing is still around...
A hunting trip? Lucky dog anyways - have fun. Dont let the bears eat ya-
Old 04-16-2005, 10:53 PM

yeah, We all got it, sets in, lets up once,[&:] then comes back. My son caught it about halloween and didn't kick it until mid Jan[:'(][:'(]
Old 04-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, Thats the one I got too.[:'(]