Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

becoming a guide

Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: becoming a guide

Let me put my two cents in as I am an outfitter/guide..

You guys are right, it's not for everyone, and I won't even bother trying to convince anyone they should do it..
but for a months worth of work, you can make 5 thousand playing in the bush.
if you have to take time from your regular job, not such a good deal..
But for new, or young hunters, it is a great opportunity, to hunt with other guides, and outfitters that will teach you all you need to know about animals, locations, survival..
where else can you learn all that real quick and get paid for it.
I can teach a new bear hunter, more about bears than he could learn on his own in 5 years, so it does have some value.

I would say if you don't have much experience, and want to learn, spend a season or two guiding, you will be set for life.

my two cents..
Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

BDOA:

Would a young, inexperienced hunter have much chance of getting hired as a guide? Isn't the expectation that the guide be a well seasoned hunter-- know the country, know how to care for downed game, cape out heads, etc.?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:53 PM

BDOA i am 15 and im thinking of being a guide soon and i know a guide in bc and i might go be a wrangler where he works. can you tell me what a wranger does and what the pay usually is .
Old 04-14-2005, 03:55 PM

and i live in edmonton alberta
Old 04-14-2005, 07:53 PM

BDOA i am 15 and im thinking of being a guide soon and i know a guide in bc and i might go be a wrangler where he works. can you tell me what a wranger does and what the pay usually is .
How can you even be considering becoming something and you don't even know what it is? All I'm saying is step lightly with such matters. I have a couple buddies here who did some guiding, and never came close to 5 grand in a month.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i might go be a wrangler where he works. can you tell me what a wranger does and what the pay usually is .
Wrangler/Camp Jack: stays in camp, cut firewood, wrangles & saddles horses in the morning, feed horses & mules, haul water, help cook clean up after breakfast, re-stock fire wood in tents, packs out meat & any other job/task that may pop-up?
The pay is low but the job satisfaction can be worth the cut in pay. If I could make half of my current wage as a guide or wrangler, I would consider doing it full time.
My current job allows me the freedom to ride into the backcountry & help a outfitter friend of mine. I try to do this trip twice a year.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Spike

That is what a wrangler does, and you should get paid upto $100 a day, depending on experience.

As for the other stuff..

I would hire someone green to work for me, I would not give them the full go ahead to guide a paying customer right off the bat, I would start them off as a camp hand, and teach them the ropes. But deff., I would hire a rookie.

I don't know where your buddy worked, maybe he sucked as a guide.. but my guys will make 5k in a month..
Old 04-15-2005, 01:56 AM
Spike

[quote]ORIGINAL: muley69

How can you even be considering becoming something and you don't even know what it is?
You could consider being something that you don't know much about, and lay off the 15year olds.. The kid asked an honest question, I am sure you knew everthing at 15..
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Spike

Alsatian..

You are correct, but we all must start somewhere, and without someone giveing you a chance it's hard to get that start. As for the heads.. We don't skin the bear heads in my camp.. My guides job is to find bears, and get hunters those bears.. My taxidermist has the job of skinning heads, and paws. That is included in his price to the hunter, so might as well get him to do it and free up the guides to GUIDE.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I totally agree with BDOA as far as spending some hunting seasons under a outfitter as a guide to learn the trade. I would not recommend anyone going to a guide school. I've watched outfitters come out of guide schools with little actual knowledge of how things really are. Working for an outfitting is hands on training you can't beat that anywhere. Plus big bonus you get paid and not have to pay. hmmm think about that one a sec.

Being an outfitter for someone who really loves to hunt is a thankless job. Most clients can't shoot. Most clients can't walk. Most clients can't take the long cold hours. Your dealing with alot of hunters who come from a richer class of people that don't work that never do any physical work. Those people are best suited for private game ranches and ATV's (puke). I prefer the older hardened clients to today's modern rich youth, they tend to have some sand. The guys I like to take can barely afford an outfitter.

On the positive side forget about all that. Do it because you love and it's you way of life. I've spent my youth broke and barely making ends meet. But I'll tell you one thing most men spend their entire life trying to become financially stable to go hunting and fishing. Having that hair raising experience of a big bull elk 15yds in front of you bugling so loud you can't hear. But these men made a mistake. By the time they can do all that they are older and limited physically. I've been retired since high school. Sure I work but every year from september to march I'm up in the mountains enjoying my retirement. To me that's living. And who cares if I don't own a million dollar mansion. It's all about getting back to what makes your heart pump.

Quick Reply: becoming a guide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.