Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Tips!

Old 06-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Tips!

Greetings: This my first post as I only found this board this afternoon. I have had lots of success in hunting whitetail and moose but this fall I am going to try elk with the bow. In the area where I will be hunting in Manitoba I have on previous years found 2 elk wallows. I viewed all the great posts on tips and only saw twicewallows mentioned, I believe byidahoelkinstructor. There was a mention about hunting them from noon til dark. Is there a reason for that? and do elk have ANY pattern inattending to the wallow? Do cows also attend the wallow? I am trying to find as much about wallows as I can. Thank you for ANY help.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Canuck-eh I ben elk hunting 3x I've found alot of wallows, they seem to use them alot at night in our area. Most of the meadows in our area have springs in them so they don't use the wallows for a daily water source. I would bet that if you were dry there it would be a good start. One hard lesson learned , If you find a meadow with a wallow in it play the WIND and be within shooting range of it.

Good luck
Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 AM

surpriseingly my wife came up with an idea, when she was out yard saleing,, she found a kids cart, the kind you tow with your bike,, she got it for a couple of dollars. since some of the roads are closed to motorized vehicles, she thought i could modify the cart to carry out animals with my mountain bike. thinkin i might have to give her idea a try, been afew times i got an animal above a road,, but its closed to motorized vehicles.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:37 PM

Sometimes it pays to listen to Mother Natures alarm clocks, i am talking about the chatter boxes out in the woods. There has been some instances when the squirrels are really worked up and at times i have sneaked in too where all the commotion is coming from, and to my surprise there iselk invading the squirrels domain!
RobinHood36>>>=============<>
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know if anyone noticed but I have been gone a little while but now I'm back in town. Missed you guys! But I have noticed the same thing RobinHood about squirrels throwing a fit. I once heard them throw a tantrum and looked that direction and a deer was walking by.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, rather be huntin.......I saw your name on the post and said to myself Hmmm haven't seen that name in a while. Glad to have you back.

I posted on a similer threadabout water holes and agree that the afternoon is best (very warm usually) But have found Elk around them early as well. I will also add a vote to those pesky squirrels as well .They don't just chatter at funny looking humans.One other tip that I use is that if you are not above the thermals when they start rising.....Hunt up a creek drainage ( If you are going up)that has water. It is cooler in these areas and two things can happen. One is, it will help with keeping your scent behind you. Also It's cooler and has water. I have jumped many animals this way !! Just sometimes I had the wrong tag in my pocket.
Bill
Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 PM

Haven't read thru all the tips, sorry....

My tip:

Use premium bullets and USE ENOUGH GUN....

When the elk hunters on this forum were polled as to their FAVORITE elk cartridges that they had ACTUALLY TAKEN ELK WITH, their responsesdid NOT run to the smallish side!

To view the poll:
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1142362

EKM
Old 08-06-2005, 10:22 PM

Strong back, weak mind!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

First and foremost you need to be in some kind half way decent physical shape, you could die out in them thar hills. higher elevations harder to breath, snow conditions make it harder to hike dem hills. So get to the gym or start walking alot of uphill walking, try to drop a few pounds weight is a killer too. Not trying to scare you just tryin gto inform you.....we are not as young as we used to be,,some of us would rather die beforewe would admit it....NO JOKE You have to be fit to play with mother nature
Old 09-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Fork Horn

I've guided now for several years for deer, elk, cougar, and bear. The rule of thumb that pretty much all the successful guides agree to for elk is bugle to locate, watch your wind, try to get within 100 yrds of where you locate a bull, then only cowcall. I've had bulls come charging in to a bugle but seems the big herd bulls are more apt to start moving their cows away. All bulls are interested in a good cow call so that's where we spend time practicing. With the wolves showing up now the elk are not showing in the open as much, seem to stay more in the steep nasty thick crap, and are not responding to calling like thay have in the past. Almost like they are learning that being vocal atracts wolves and they want to stay away the elk that may be bringing in the wolves. Nowadays I try to pick my elk hunting spot for myself by trying to figure out where the wolves arn't hanging out. I hope all the wolf advocates **** themselves to death.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.