Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Tips!

Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 AM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Tips!

ORIGINAL: manboy

shato, elk nut is a member here! just pm him and he can tell you the rest! i will be watching them in a few days!

good luck! oh and what the bull score 260? if it was mine, i would say to high to count! any bull called in is world record to me!
Manboy,

Unofficially it taped at 296. That was just because some guessed 300, I guessed 310, and another guessed 270. so we pulled a tape on him to see who was the closest. Its a trophy in my eyes regardless of the "score". He was a tremendous amount of fun.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:30 AM

First - find the elk. The rest is easy.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Thank you elkaholicid.

I sure appreciate your help Michael. I was told by a man from Idaho that he felt we would do better in units 48 or 49 between Ketchum and Hailey. We could care less about killing a big bull, we are just looking for some remote back country where we can locate some bulls and catch a few fresh trout. Have you by chance ever hunted the above mentioned units? Please feel free to e-mail me personally with any suggestions you may have at [email protected]
Old 05-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bassbacker, elkaholicid has some good advice, I have hunted the units around Challis Salmon and Leadore but I haven't hunted any of the units you have mentioned. I have been to those area's for hiking and fishing/camping and from what I know of the area, Michael has already mentioned. I will add that the both area's have good timber, with quite a few little meadows (or parks as other call them) mixed in. Another thing I'll add that when wolves are around there are no elk to be found. At least that is what I have noticed anyway. Sorry that I can't be of more help but good luck and its sound that you are on you way to a successful hunt!. Good luck Jason
Old 05-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Thank you Idahoelkinstructor. The help you guy's have given is great. Since you have been in several areas in central Idaho, I would like to ask a few more questions if I may? At the risk of sounding like a bafoon, how concerned should we be about the wolves in the area, never seen one? Also, our initial thought was to hunt unit 36 North of Stanley or further East in unit 50 West of MacKay, any thoughts or suggestions on these units? Again, we are looking for a unit with lots of elk, rather than a big bull. Is the timber, creeks, and meadows, pretty much in units 43, 48, 49, 50, 36A, and 36? all the same, or are some of these units not prime elk habitat? Can you also tell me if there is abundant roadless backcountry in each of these units, we will basically spend the entire season in one of the pre mentioned units. I'm only asking so many questions because my 15 year old son will be on his first elk hunt, and we are trying to make it as special as possible. If you ever need advice on which units to put in for here in Arizona, or have any questions about a specific unit, feel free. Thanks again guy's.....Joe
Old 05-26-2005, 10:59 AM

Hey Joe,
I'm not sure about some of the other areas you aare looking at. I have been in 36 above Stanley and it is a good area. I would again point you to a topo map and that would be the easiest way to find areas away from roads that you are looking at. The area around Stanley does have a good number of elk. I haven't hunted there a bunch but have been in elk every time. As far as the wolves go I would say don't let it ruin your hunt but keep in mind that they are there. When calling elk you never know what will come in. You could have wolves, bear, or mtn. lion sneeking around to see what is making all the noise. We have run into wolves and they tuck tail and run the other way in our experience. Good pepper spray or a pistol on your side is not a bad idea. Just something to keep in mind. Since I don't know about the other units all I can say is 36 wouold be a good hunt. You can also go online to fish and game and look at the success numbers for those units and that will give you a good idea as well.
Hope this helps,
elkaholidid
Michael
Old 05-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Again, I thank you for all the tips and help....Joe
Old 05-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the timber, creeks, and meadows, pretty much in units 43, 48, 49, 50, 36A, and 36? all the same, or are some of these units not prime elk habitat?
All of these units are about the same type of terrain (steep rugged and beautiful). I feel that all hold good populations of elk. I agree with elkaholicid about the use of topo maps. An idea if time allows, is you might try to make a july/august scouting trip. Even if its just for a few days it will give you an idea of the general area. And you can pick the area of your liking. Also about the wolves I have found that the elk seem shut up become call shy and even clear out of an area if a wolf pack is close by. The problem is the wolves move around a lot like the elk do, so you can't pinpoint on a map and say here are the wolves so lets avoid this area.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:51 AM

Two things that have caused me to spook the elk are not looking for the elk around the shooter and moving in too fast.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:53 AM

I hunt Elk in colorado's national forest's. I have been out there 3x, I have saw nice bulls every time but was unable to get the job done. Firsttrip shouldn't count because it was my rookie season and I didn't hunt how I would now. The last 2 trips Iwas bow hunting, With a couple of close calls at times but those 10,000 foot swirlsALWAYS GIVE YOU AWAY.My question to you guru's is this.The terrian is dark timber & meadows. I am always 2 miles in by first light but still have a hard time trying to locate Elk in the mornings. They seem to disappear when they hit the timber. It seems to me they like to bed on the north slopes that are so thick you can't get close enough to them with out spooking them. Am I looking in the right places? Or should I try to hunt the more open ridges where I can see. I can get a few bulls to bulgle in the morinings and evenings but haven't had any come running yet. It seems that when I do hear one I can't find him. I spend all day walking the mountains and I see more Elk in the evenings settting meadows!
Any advice would be great.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.