Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Tips!

Old 05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting Tips!

Old 05-18-2005, 01:10 PM

Shed,

Great bull! I'm glad someone agrees with me. I was afraid that I might get laughed out of here. My 04 bull:

Great tom as well. I'm sure you'll pass the tradition on to the young man with you. Peace.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,

Thank you and no not at all, if they laugh, I doubt they have done both much. Let em laugh! [ I find so many similarities, that it's almost frightening. I agree with you too, there is really nothing on this planet like calling in a big ole bull elk. What an awesome experience! And last but not least, my boys both love the outdoors, I have already taken my oldest Jess my 4 year old on many hunts. At age 3 he scolded me for not waiting until it got completely dark, before we walked out of the woods one evening as we were sitting together elk hunting. I have him on film for 20 minutes when he was 2 years old cow calling to a cow elk. He gets her to come from 300+ yards out to within 75 using his voice.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:54 PM

Shed,
Thats sounds amazing. Funny thing that it seems that I get more enjoyment watching kids hunt than I ever did by myself. I guess thats the way its supposed to be. I told my 13 year old this turkey season that it was very similar to calling big bull elk and I don't know if he believed me.

Let me explain the situation. We were working a wise ole tom. He was fired up. Every seductive hen yelp I made he would answer. The problem was he was hanging up just out of range. I wispered to my boy that I was going to sneek away calling as I went. I instructed him to set still and if a good ethical shot presented itself to take it. I belly crawled about 40 yards and called. the Tom answered. I crawled another 40 yards and called. this time the gooble was followed by the thunder of a 12 gauge. The ole boy thought his girlfriend had lost interest and was leaving. My boy said the tom came a running and didn't stop until I called.

I think this type of scenario could and will work extremely well for a bull that just doesn't want to commit that last few yards needed to seal the deal.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool, and congrats to your son. We often slip away from bulls just like you described in your turkey hunting scenario with your boy; pulling them to a hunter that's set up, I have done the same thing while grunting whitetails into range.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:24 PM

Yep it works in a lot of situations. Hey, where can a guy get these elknut1 videos? Always willing to learn more.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:16 PM

shato, elk nut is a member here! just pm him and he can tell you the rest! i will be watching them in a few days!

good luck! oh and what the bull score 260? if it was mine, i would say to high to count! any bull called in is world record to me!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 PM

Sounds like alot of good advice here. But Ive got a question or two. First does anybody on this forum use a gun. Ill be hunting elk for the first time this year and will be hunting the 2nd rifle season in co. I would love to hear some advice (tips ) on this time of year. Also would like some info on what kind of temps and weather to expect. thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Idaho elk instructor. I'm hoping you may be able to give me a little insight. I have archery hunted elk in Colorado, New Mexico, and my home State of Arizona, but I have never been to Idaho. My hunting partner and I have received the maps, harvest statistics and elevation charts in several of the units in central Idaho, but we are trying to get more specific information regarding thick timber, roadless back country, creeks, and meadows etc. We are leaning toward hunting either the Sawtooth region in units 34, 35, or 36 just West of Stanley Idaho, or the Smokey Mountains region in units 43, 48, or 49 just West of Krtchum Idaho. If you could provide any suggestions or information on these units and the elk populations in these units, that would be great. Thank you.....Joe
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 AM

Hey Bassbacker,
I have hunted the Sawtooth zone for 12 years now. I hunt unit 33. It is steep and rugged country. The area you are looking at by Stanley has a good number of elk in it. It also has a good wolf population. The elk are in larger groups and you have a few more sets of eyes to deal with. If you choose that area you had better get in shape. Topo maps will give you locations on streams and meadows. During the summer there is a 3d shoot in Stanley and during the evening a few people will drive up to these meadows and watch the elk come out to feed.
Good luck
elkaholicid
Michael

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.