Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Tips!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Tips!

Hi all!...I will do my first Bow Elk hunt this coming Aug/Sep 2005. I would like to know how other hunters hunt a pre-rut in southern Colorado with a bow.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted Colorado but I would plan on hunting it just like any other state. With the pre-rut I would use a "blind setup" (elknuts term) I have used the term silent calling in the past but I like elknut1's term the best. To do it, use several cow calls with maybe a spike bull squeal or a raghorn bull call all at the same time. Start slow and calm then build up to excitement with fast calling at the end. Nothing to big and nasty just a lot of cow calls mixed in with a few bulls. Call for 4 to 6 minutes and then wait, if a hour goes by try it again and wait. The elk will come in silent and it might take awhile, waiting them out is the key. To be honest most of the time I have not waited long enough, but when I have this has paid off with success. I have killed two elk in the opening week using a form of this type of calling. Now because of elknut I plan on waiting even longer, becuse I know I have been too eager to leave after just 1/2 hour. Also with hunting in early season, wallows and water is very inportant and a good place to set up a tree stand or ground blind. Good luck
Old 04-26-2005, 10:27 PM

Very Interesting. I just purchased a call by Primos called Hot Lips. It is to simulate the sound of two cows in estrus competing for the herd bull. Between Hot Lips, my Hoochie mama, and my brother with his Hoochie mama.......Sound like we will have us a party this coming fall. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

I guess you would say I can call elk, but my calling isn't my #1 tool. My nose and my ears are. I don't always hunt into the wind, sometimes it is cross wind. A trick I picked up years ago. As for hunting elk in colorado, get up high and use your binoculars. Find elk then go get them. Key issues, because of elevation changes wind gets real weird. Carry a bottle of powder and blow some in the air. You will be amazed at where the air really goes. The yarn on the bow doesn't tell the whole story. If it is hot make sure you know where the water is, the elk need it bad in the heat. Get to know elk forage needs and know those plants Firstdraw. Will you get to scout before season? If not remember if sign isn't right now fresh it doesn't mean anything!
As far as my bow set up 70lbs, 30inch draw, 489gr XX75 arrows tipped with a 130gr muzzy, the bow XI Force One. The reason I go with a heavy broadhead, weight forward. Makes a big hole and a great blood trail. And the wind doesn't have as much effect as on a ligth arrow. Firstdraw best help I can give you get in shape.
Gselkhunter
Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 PM

Hey All,
Just wanted to say thanks in a big way. There has been tons of great info shared and I for one really appreciate it. I will be venturing to Montana this year on a bow hunt and really think ideas shared here will help. I know nothing beats experience but I know I have avoided a mountain of ooopses by learning some from your experiences. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIPS

Now if I go screw up you know who I'm going to blame, ha ha

pb
Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
CG

In 11 years of bowhunting elk (7 of which were successful including this years bull above), I could create pages of tips and tricks I've learned through those years. Most of which have been mentioned by the very knowledgeable crew that has already posted (especially about the wind...elk have good sniffers!). So here's what I consider the most important.

1. Hunt hard and hunt fast until you find the elk THEN slow down. There is no point in hunting slow if the elk aren't there.

2. GET IN SHAPE! Those are big mountains and elk can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. Plus there is a definate safety issue with showing up to the mountains in poor shape.

3. Learn to call! Yeah I know it can be done without it but to me that is the most enjoyable and challenging part of the hunt. BUT you must learn when and how to call. I like to think of myself as a very good caller but it took me YEARS to learn (and many, many educated elk) how and ESPECIALLY when to call elk. Save yourself some time on that learning curve and get elknut's videos... this guy knows his stuff.....

4. Use sharp, well constructed broadheads. I DO NOT reccomend mechanicals for elk. I'm sure that there have been many elk taken with mechs and this will stir the pot but I'm a firm believer in this based on MY observations and MY experiences so take it for what it is worth.

5. Make sure you have a way to get a bull off that mountain. Most people that have never hunted elk do not realize how big these animals are. You are in for a LOT of work when that animal is down. Trust me, I speak from experience. This years bull was 6 1/2 miles from the trailhead and only me and my brother's back to get him out. 3 EXHAUSTING days later he was all out. I'll NEVER do that again. Make arrangements to have horses available if you intend to go that deep.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

gselkhunter, that is good sound advice for one and all, its good to see you chirp in with your great knowledge.!

CG that is one heck of a nice bull, do you know what he scored? I sure do agree that packing out an elk is a lot of work. Last year between 8 hunters in camp we packed out 4 bulls, we did have horses, but its still a lot of work no matter if using horses, or on your back or even using ATV's. To be honest because horses can be such a pain in the butt, (I own one so I know) I think if the distance is less than 3 miles then sometimes its almost easier to pack it out on your back, of course afer doing that a whole day, I then think that horses are easier. [&:] So I'll just say again that packing out elk is hard no matter what means of transportation you have.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
CG

idahoelkinstructor,

He gross scored just under 380 (378 2/8 I believe, I don't have the P&Y sheet here in front of me).

I definately agree about the horses. Anything under 3 miles (depending on terrain) I personally would just pack out. But after this year's experience, anything over that, I will have horses available. I won't take them in to hunt but I will have them available to get one out.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 PM

I thought I would put my two cents in here. I'm no expert when it comes to calling elk. I've had some amazing experiences though. Hunting bulls in the bugle is the most amazing type of hunting imagineable. My tip comes more from my experience with Wild turkey calling. I know it sounds like a stretch, but from my experiences a lot of things transfer from turkeys. My tip:
Pay attention to your quarry when calling. It will tell you what it wants to hear. One of the fastest ways to run off a turkey is to call aggressively to a temid tom, or vice versa to call passively to a hot turkey. I think the same can be said about elk. If you hit the bugle and he immediately challenges you, then you should get aggressive. If a bull is rather temid then you need to work closer and make soft soothing calls. It was amazing to me how much calling a big bull was similar to working tom turkeys.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,

I couldn't agree more. I hunt turkeys and bulls here basically using the same approach from a tactical and strategical standpoint. Good advice!

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.