Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Did you enter elknut1 ???

Old 04-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Did you enter elknut1 ???

Michael---You got it!!! As a matter of fact, you don't heckle me & I won't heckle you!!!

Funny you bring it up though. At the ISE Show in SLC there was a guy doing his best to downplay Jim Horn and one of his tactics. When Jim had- had enough, he saw me sitting in the back row, & proceeded to sick the guy on me. Jim knew I agreed with him on his thoughts. He must have figured the Show must go on!!! So he figured I could take care of his light work!!! Fortunately the guy sat down and shut-up!! Jim handled it very well!!!

Later--Paul
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM

IT's a deal on the heckeling. Was the guy down playing Jim's silent calling routine? I have heard a lot of peole say it doesn't work or it is non sense. They don't realize that they are the one that is doing it wrong. They may be calling to fast, or moving a little bit and getting picked off by a bull that they can't even see. Jim is a good friend of mine and I listen with all my attention when ever he is taking about hunting elk or calling for them. I am looking forward to talking with you more and sharing more knowledge as we did a little bit on Cabin Chat. If you have any seminars coming up let me know I would like to attend.
elkaholicid
Michael
Old 04-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Michael---Jim was in the middle of his silent routine, the part where he suggests to inject a small bulls bugle during his series of cow & calf sounds along with a single cows estrous whines.

The heckler argued that you should never inject a bull sound at all while cow calling, no matter if it was silent calling or you had a bull going vocally with just cow calls. Jim mentioned this was the way he'd done it for years, he didn't know why it worked but it does. Those were Jims words!!

I've talked with Jim several times on similar issues of what sounds to use at certain times & this was one of them. He is exactly right in what he suggests. I say this because this has been a method I've used for years, and highly reccommend it in our videos which I call "Blind Setups".

This was the first Seminar I had seen Jim give. He did a great job!!-------ElkNut1/Paul
Old 04-02-2005, 09:36 AM

Paul,
I have known Jim for about seven or eight yearsnow and have been using the silent calling routine for almost that long. It does work. I don;t use it all the time during the early season, but it does work. I have been to several of his seminars and enjoy each one even though I could pretty much say what he is going to say before he says it. Jim is a great guy with a passion for elk hunting that drives him to help others to become addicted to this sport that we all love so much. I guess we all need someone in the crowd to question our setups and how we call.
elkaholicid
Michael