Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 WIN ADEQUATE FOR BIG GAME?

Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 AM

Default 270 WIN ADEQUATE FOR BIG GAME?

Is the .270 Winadequate for big game?

Magnum308
Old 03-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 270 WIN ADEQUATE FOR BIG GAME?

Not sure what you want to hunt but the 270 is just fine for antelope, deer , caribou, sheep, goats and black bear cartridge. Marginal but doable with the proper premium bullet and shoot ing distance/angles limitations for elk and moose. Don't even think about for large bears or dangerous game!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Not sure what you want to hunt but the 270 is just fine for antelope, deer , caribou, sheep, goats and black bear cartridge. Marginal but doable with the proper premium bullet and shoot ing distance/angles limitations for elk and moose. Don't even think about for large bears or dangerous game!

Skeeter, I did a little research on Norma and they said that the 6.5 .156 SP ALASKA
is what is most commonly used in Sweden and most european countries for Moose.
I have two boxes of them and can't wait to use them.

I just can't understand why many people have the .270 as being marginal?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO The 270-Winchester is a good deer caliber. I do not hunt anything larger than whitetail deer with my 270.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:45 PM

i would say anything from deer to moose the 270 could take no problum however i wouldn't hunt anything larger with it
Old 03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had no problems with taking elk with a .270, often they go down faster than with a .300 in my experience.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 PM

Here we go again. Usually it doesn't happen until the previous "is the .270 adequate for...." drops off the page. The answer is the same. When blackpowder ruled the game fields, the only way to increase killing power was to increase the size of the bullet. Mostly by increasing the diameter. Smokeless powder, by increasing the velocity potential, changed that. Just about any smokeless powder round with a diameter of .26 or better will kill any game that walks. Those smaller than that don't have access to heavy for diameter bullets that ensure the necessary penetration. A 150 grain .270 bullet will do anything a 180 grain .30 caliber bullet will do. So will a 160 grain 7mm bullet, or a 140 grain 6.5mm bullet. It ain't a stunt it's been done so many times it is well proven. If you really want something bigger, that's fine.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:44 AM
DM

A 150 grain .270 bullet will do anything a 180 grain .30 caliber bullet will do. So will a 160 grain 7mm bullet, or a 140 grain 6.5mm bullet.
I agree, AS LONG AS you use "premium" bullets for the heavier animials. Higher velicity = shredded bullets!! SO, use a bullet that can stand the higher V so you get the proper penetration!!

I'm not fond of the 270 Win., but it is a good big game round that works well for many hunters. My problem with the 270 is, the 280 Rem. will do everything a 270 Win. will do, and still allow the use of 175 NP's in the 280 Rem. for the biggest game!

For many hunters this may not matter, but for me it has, as i carried my 280 Rem. in moose and bear country a lot.

Drilling Man
Old 03-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Shot place ment is the biggest deal.If you hit the sholder bone of an elk you will be tracking him with a 270.There is a lot of elk killed with a 270 dew to the fact that is a deer gun that every one has.

I am a game retriver!!!! I go to the woods to pack out game every year. Every year I have to go track elk shoot with a lesser gun than .308. In 7 years I have only hade to track 1 elk shoot with the 30-06. All the reast where shoot with lesser guns.

If you are going to hunt elk with a 270 plz take your time and do not try to shoot though there sholder.Barns are good rounds for elk in a light gun.

I am sure I will hear crap. What it comes down to is dont shoot a running shot if you have a 270.Dont shoot over 200 yards.Dont shoot in heavy timber.

Make sure you have a very very good shot befor pulling the trigger. I hate to track elk. Elk can go a very long ways when wonded. And they normaly go to the heavest timber they can find.

If all you have is a 270 to hunt elk with hunt elk with a 270.Every year there is a ton of elk killed with it. If you are buying a gun most any 308 is abetter elk gun than a 270.

Every year I see some guy standing at the truck that says I cant see how I missed him. I will go up and look where he shot at him and sure enough there is blood.When I ask him what he is shooting it will be a .270 or a 6.5 mm bulet.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tell you what,I seen it this year and years in the past the 270 is not adequate for elk.

I was huting with a gent who was using a 270 win,we found a small herd of elk in the timber.He spooked a spike bull,the bull ran about 130 yds out,He took aim and shot he hit the bull smack dab in the shoulder,the bull wheeled turned and ran at us he fired again hitting him in the a$$.He then ran at the bull fired 2 round and hitting him once in the neck,wich put the bull on the ground but not dead.He then walked up to it and put one in the head.My bull was closer and I center punched him through the shoulder with a .338 win Mag 200 gr Balistic(not the best round for elk),he ran about 10 yds and died.The othe gent was using a so called prem bullet 140 Nosler.Now we all know that the nosler is a good soild bullet,yet it was mashed flat on the shoulder,and 1 was still in the neck of the bull.
Now you tell me if the 270 has enough punch.
I know he had abad shot,but I want a gun and bullet that will punch trough at any angle.
BBJ

Quick Reply: 270 WIN ADEQUATE FOR BIG GAME?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.