Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best of the West on the OLN

Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best of the West on the OLN

Anyone watch this series..For those that don't it is about extreme long range shooting at Big Game animals. Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best of the West on the OLN

I've seen it a few times. It's impressive, but unethical.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Along with Eastman Hunting that is one of my favorite shows. Mostly because they cover western hunting and seem to be more in line with the "Do it yourself" hunting I like to do. I don't necessarily condone long shots but it would be nice to have it as an option. I'd sure love to have that scope they use where you range the distance, dial the scope to it, put it on the vitals, and fire. I don't have the money for that kind of a setup so I'll stick to the "Get in close" method.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen it a few times. It's impressive, but unethical.
Sure borders on it ..wonder how many wounded shots they don't capture on film.

I'd sure love to have that scope they use where you range the distance, dial the scope to it, put it on the vitals, and fire.
I would like to know what cartidge they are using which hammers Elk at those ridiculous long ranges... They are probably using a good tactical scope.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do not know if I have seen that show?? When is it on?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I don't get the show on my cable, how far are they shooting?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get the show on my cable, how far are they shooting?
I have seen them shoot seven hundred yards + on Bull Elk but only because there is no way they could have stalked closer.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:19 PM

I'm with BrutalAttack...impressive, but not the most ethical way to hunt.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

there's one scene on there (during the ad for the video) where they shoot at least two but maybe three animals like bang bang with two different yardages. One target was up the hill from the other. I could never figure out what animal(s) they were shooting in that sequence--just supposed coyotes. Anybody know for sure?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

We have too many trophys lost each year by hot shots that think they can kill anything they can see. This show only encourages such a waste of game. Those who wound and lose an animal will usually go looking for another one and end up killing 2-3 or more animals before they fill their tag. Another post on here requarding elk guns recommended a larger caliber for those bad angle shots! Bad angle shots should be passed up until a clean shot is offered. If you have pass up an animal, it is better than wounding him and then leaveing him for the yotes and wolves. I don't think it helps the sportsman in any way and sure doesn't help conserve wildlife.

Quick Reply: Best of the West on the OLN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.