Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

boar

Old 03-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Default boar

anyone have any tips on boar hunting ?......if so thankx

Jay

hunt 4 life

Old 03-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Default RE: boar

It really is going to depend on where you are hunting. Generally, we go out about an hour before dusk or go to a place we know that they have been during the day and try to call them out with a hog caller (all the brands are equally poor), or just stalk quietly and listen for them (usually to better success). As far as equipment, we usually go in pairs, one guy with a rifle, and one with a shotgun loaded with buckshot. I also recomend carrying a pistol if you have one. Any good deer gun will work. We have killed with everthing from a .22 hornet (neck shot) to .300WSM. Whatever you are comfortable with will work just fine. I do strongly recomend going with at least one partner, as they can be extreemly agressive, especially when in groups.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

We have too many experts on this site who havn't lived long enough to know what a Florida hog is. Living now in Idaho and hunting bear and mountian lion with hounds, I can tell you for a fact, a Florida "piney rooter" is more than big game. Much more dangerous than either of the above "big game" animals. They are not concidered property in Florida and havn't been property since the early fifties. Having been raised in the southern edge of the famous "Gulf Hammock" at Inglis, I know a little about hogs, (probably packed out more alive than some have ever seen). Until the 50's one had to registar a claim and record his mark at the courthouse in Bronson, (Levy County in my case) saying he had released hogs into the wild to have a legal right to hunt hogs in any fashion in Florida. When the open range was closed statewide in the fiftys, owners had a grace period in which they could remove their stock. After the time frame expired, they became property of the state to be governed by the wildlife dept. There was 2 different hogs in Florida at this time, the feral and the razorback or "piney woods rooter" as he was called locally. Either would kill a dog in the blinking of an eye if being pursued. Some old boars would challange hunters without being cornered, just because you were on their turf. You sure didn't want to mess with a sow with pigs unless there was a tree close by. If you want check me out, My mark was listed under C.A. Busbee, my fathers mark was under Lawrence, my grandfathers mark was under C.A Busbee also. As for the 1000 pounder reportedly killed, I DON'T BELIEVE IT NONE!!! I saw a picture of him and I have never seen a hog that fat in the woods, NEVER. The picture that I saw looked more like a 500 pounder to me. Of course, when you get my age and you have seen a few "big uns, hogs, bear, lion, muleys, elk, white tails," and actually put them on a scale yourself, your eyes just don't see things as big as they once did.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Snooky,
Could'nt have said it better!
I have hunted and run dogs in Gulf Hammock for 4 years, 1970-1974, untill they started logging it out.
Yes, rooted around Yankee Town alot. It was alot of fun for those years.
Then went to Cross City for a couple years and Perry for 11 years straight. Every thanksgiving
4 day weekend we where in Perry and 2 weeks in regular hunt's. Then went to Aucilla and hunted
Waukula,Jefferson and Taylor counties in the Aucilla WMA. Then went to Madison County next
to San Pedro WMA.
About a sow being with her piglets....We called it a Piggy Sow. The 465 pounder I killed in 1963 was at
Lakes wales Fl. on private property. I killed a Urasian on the Overstreet Ranch in Polk Co. next to
the Green Swamp WMA in 1990. I am getting to old to run after them dogs any more, so I have been
hunting deer on stand since 1996.
I have already stated my opinon to SewerRat about hogs being considered Property in FLA. in this
forum...Big Game Hunting.....are wild hogs considered big game?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Snooky, you and I probably hunted the management areas. i did quite a bit of hog hunting in florida hunting the Appalachacola, St. Marks, Bull Creek and Three Lakes Management areas. I have taken them with a bow, pistol, muzzleloader and have bulldogged boars and sows down from behind and taken them out alive. Hogs are where you find them, I have shot them routing around in the pine trees and also shot them while the're eating hicinths blossoms(sp)? in canals. Its pretty easy to tell where hogs just were because it looks like a bulldozer went in there and routed up the entire ground as well as leaving a muskie odor behind. When stalking these creatures slip up on them nice and slow using the wind in your favor and move only when that hogs head is down routing, when his head comes up and he'll stop and listen and you better freeze or your busted. Usually there are others around that will bust you if your not careful. The biggest one I ever got was in North fla., a pineywood rooter with 4 inch clackers and dressing out at 225 lbs. I've only been nailed once and that is when I stuck a hog through the chest with a arrow and it just stood there swaying so I went up to it to slice its throat and when I went to grab its left ear it hooked me on the big finger on my left hand in which I still carry the scar to this day. Goog Luck and have fun , Bobby
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

The biggest hog I ever saw (wild) was killed by E. E. Cassidday of Dade City. We were deer hunting in Gulf Hammock when he was shot. He was a young blue boar that had been feeding on flag lilly roots and his fat was pink as salmon meat. We quartered him and I carried a quarter out. He would not have weighed much more than 400 pounds and we thought he was HUGE!! As for those who think that hogs are property, just tell them that my family ran hogs and cattle in Florida since before the turn of the century and I gave you permission to take a few of mine.